Menu
Tcb2001
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Blocking YouTube App

Please tell me someone has found a work around to blocking the YouTube App.

How they feel it's appropriate to have a 13+ app with unrestricted content freely available on the television I don't know.....

If there isn't a work around I am going to have to cancel my account and re-register with Sky at considerable cost.

0 Kudos
av-115
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Blocking YouTube App

Hi Tcb2001, you may wish to check out this post from a member of the forum team on another thread.

There is still no way to completely disable it and customers have been asking for this for years, so clearly Virgin aren't interested.

--------------------------
TV: XL TV + Sky Sports (V6 & V+ HD)
Broadband: VIVID 200
Phone: Talk Unlimited
0 Kudos
RidingTheFlow
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

You can block youtube (or any other site) by using your own router (with Virgin Superhub in modem mode).

Any router which supports targeted blocking will do - then you can block all traffic to youtube servers, which will stop any applications on your local network from being able to access it.

0 Kudos
av-115
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

RidingTheFlow wrote:

You can block youtube (or any other site) by using your own router (with Virgin Superhub in modem mode).

Any router which supports targeted blocking will do - then you can block all traffic to youtube servers, which will stop any applications on your local network from being able to access it.

This will have no effect on a TiVo box which uses its own internal modem independent of the Superhub.

0 Kudos
RidingTheFlow
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

av-115 wrote:

RidingTheFlow wrote:

This will have no effect on a TiVo box which uses its own internal modem independent of the Superhub.

I thought TiVO (at least TiVO V6) uses Superhub for "standard internet" connection - since it has to be connected to Superhub either via Ethernet or WiFi and uses own DOCSIS modem to receive TV multicast only?

0 Kudos
av-115
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

RidingTheFlow wrote:

av-115 wrote:

RidingTheFlow wrote:

I thought TiVO (at least TiVO V6) uses Superhub for "standard internet" connection - since it has to be connected to Superhub either via Ethernet or WiFi and uses own DOCSIS modem to receive TV multicast only?

Yeah V6 does, but TiVo only uses its ethernet port for streaming recordings between boxes. It wouldn't use the Superhub's modem for Catch Up or Apps etc.

In fairness, the OP didn't mention whether they have a TiVo or V6, I just assumed TiVo.

0 Kudos
Tcb2001
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi, thanks for the responses.
Still disappointed with Virgin, just seems so wrong especially when it must be an easy fix.
We have the V6, does that mean there is a work around? The tech people from Virgin thought there was nothing I could do?
Tx
0 Kudos