Menu
jtonthebike
Tuning in
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

wan throughput after change from 152 to 200 service.

Hi. We upgraded from 152mb to 200mb broadband and the graph below (taken from my pfsense router) is typical of the last few days of network throughput speed.

200mbs.png

I have rebooted the superhub and I have also restarted my router, to no avail. Prior to the change from 152mb to 200mb, I regularly saw download speeds of 16-17MBps which I was very happy with, i'm pretty stumped as to why the significant change in wan throughput.

Any assistance would be very much appreciated.
Kind regards,

Jonathan

0 Kudos
beardy12
Joining in
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: wan throughput after change from 152 to 200 service.

Can't personally see the graph

Did they change your hub as well?

0 Kudos
jtonthebike
Tuning in
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi. 

Weird, the graph shows for me. Anyway.

Still woeful speed. Just done a speedtest and seeing ~60Mbps which is crap.

No, superhub not changed, no advice given by the 3 or 4 people I had spoken to prior to getting the change in service done. My network speed functioned fine when using the 152Mb service, often peaking at 17-18MBps which was ace.

Nothing has changed apart from 'something' with VM. My Superhub is in the same place, connected to the same router, there's no traffic management or shaping going on with the router, all that's happened is my maximum throughput speed has changed from >150Mbps to 60Mbps.

Cheers.

0 Kudos
jtonthebike
Tuning in
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

OK, some updates to things here. I've had some extended data transfers running over the weekend. We don't have a TV aerial hooked up at the moment, so rely on Netflix, Amazon Prime, BBC iPlayer, etc to watch tv / listen to the radio. Last night (Sunday evening) I had to throttle-back/limit the data transfers to max of 2MBps so we could watch TV, which still presented "your internet connection is slow" type messages during viewing + buffering. Which I would expect if the media player was connected via wifi. It isn't. It's connected via a c5e cable, to a managed switch to a pfsense router/firewall. There's no traffic management going on in my LAN either.

Here's some (hopefully) pertinent information, gathered from the router status (192.168.100.1)

downstream.pngupstream.pngupstream_burst.png

0 Kudos
jtonthebike
Tuning in
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Still woeful speeds!

63Ms ping time - it's nearly 10pm and on the 'old' 152Mb service this was rarely slower than 22Ms.

Anyone at VM care to investigate? 

0 Kudos
jtonthebike
Tuning in
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Seriously http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5712392132

**bleep**!

Shocking service Virgin Media!

I called tech support earlier in the week who carried out a reset on the router/modem to no avail.

I'm not the only customer complaining of shocking services.

0 Kudos
jtonthebike
Tuning in
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

As yet, no contact from VM and max speed is still approx 60Mb.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Downstream power levels are getting too high.

Forum staff are taking up to 2 weeks to reply from the time of your last post. Phone in if you want it looking at sooner.

jtonthebike
Tuning in
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

thanks for your reply, it's appreciated.

Interesting to note about the downstream levels getting too high.

My current work schedule doesn't allow much downtime this means 'core' hours are jam-packed, evening it's doing dad stuff + dinner / etc, night time I have to crack on with some work. In saying this, I did manage to call the tech support team last week IIRC and they weren't able to sort it out (a remote reset carried out on the modem/superhub)

I appreciate this is a community forum, but it's being going on for quite a while now.

0 Kudos
jtonthebike
Tuning in
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

it's been significantly longer than 2 weeks now.

Still limited time for me calling VM when I'm in front of a PC at home.

I'm still experiencing what I now believe to be either significant over-subscription of the 200Mb service in my area (which seems odd that the previous 152Mb connection ran very well) e.g. 200Mb service has some terrible contention ratio. Or, there's some heavyweight traffic management going on.

At around midnight/1 am, I saw 24.9MB connection speeds whilst downloading from the Steam network, this is nearly perfect 200Mbs.

So, VM, this issue is still ongoing.

It's been longer than a fortnight for someone from VM to respond.

C'mon VM, you know there's a multitude of other people experiencing poor throughput on their 200Mb service.

0 Kudos