Menu
Bad1982uk
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

virgin media overutilization area

Why is my speed in the evening all over the place? And why is virgin media taking lots of households on if the network can't cope. I can get speeds of 200mb through the day just hope the speed will iron it's self out over the couple of days.
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
roughbeast
Dialled in
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: virgin media overutilization area

You might take a look at this discussion. Is your area due for a network upgrade?

Thinkbroadband forum

Services: 350Mb / 20Mb, TV V6 box X2, Phone XL Talk unlimited and mobile x4 Routers = SHub 3 in modem only mode with Asus RT-AC88U
0 Kudos

All Replies
roughbeast
Dialled in
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You might take a look at this discussion. Is your area due for a network upgrade?

Thinkbroadband forum

Services: 350Mb / 20Mb, TV V6 box X2, Phone XL Talk unlimited and mobile x4 Routers = SHub 3 in modem only mode with Asus RT-AC88U
0 Kudos
Bad1982uk
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I only had it installed a couple of days ago. The speeds are all over the place and I know we got to give it time but the virgin media guy said the area is high overutilization area and may not get the speeds at peak times but why say you can get high speeds all the time.
0 Kudos
roughbeast
Dialled in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

All ISPs hide behind their "up to **Mb" statement. They know that performance will sometimes be behind the headline figure at times. Virgin are no different. I can understand your frustration though, paying for a service you don't get. Try raising the complaint level with CS. If you get to speak to management they may give you a price reduction until the over-utilisation problem is solved with a VM upgrade.

To be fair to Virgin they do allow for overheads in the modem configuration, so you get more than the headline speed when things are running smoothly. For example I get 332Mb on a 300Mb connection.

0 Kudos
Bartman007
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

roughbeast wrote:

All ISPs hide behind their "up to **Mb" statement. They know that performance will sometimes be behind the headline figure at times. Virgin are no different. I can understand your frustration though, paying for a service you don't get. Try raising the complaint level with CS. If you get to speak to management they may give you a price reduction until the over-utilisation problem is solved with a VM upgrade.

To be fair to Virgin they do allow for overheads in the modem configuration, so you get more than the headline speed when things are running smoothly. For example I get 332Mb on a 300Mb connection.

They have a DUTY OF CARE to provide you with the speeds that you have contracted into, as stated by CISAS, 2-20Mbps is not a contracted speed and is definitely not an "Up-to" speed. your 300Mbps on a contract of 300Mbps is, I am sure you can see the difference! 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All the information I provide is available on Google Search, I just make it simple for you Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Bartman007
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

If VM are 100% at fault, utilisation (over subscribing) is their problem, then make a formal complaint with VM, after 8 weeks if its not resolved take it to CISAS, follow my simple guide to make it easier.

You can, if you provide enough evidence to CISAS you can get up to, if not more than 50% of your BB costs.

Hit them in their pocket not yours.

Also, TBH, the more that complain paints a picture to CISAS, and in turn OFCOM might get involved, it might be a small percentage, but its a big enough percentage to make heads turn.

Don't procrastinate, go and do it.

Good luck

Regards

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All the information I provide is available on Google Search, I just make it simple for you Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Bad1982uk
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. I have canceled virgin media services within in my 14 day cooling off period.
0 Kudos
roughbeast
Dialled in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Bartman007 wrote:

They have a DUTY OF CARE to provide you with the speeds that you have contracted into, as stated by CISAS, 2-20Mbps is not a contracted speed and is definitely not an "Up-to" speed. your 300Mbps on a contract of 300Mbps is, I am sure you can see the difference! 

They have a duty of care up to a point. Just as long as they can prove that a  percentage of people consistently get the advertised speed they will not fall foul of the regulator. This is why VM configure modems to have a max speed over the advertised speed. They have recently increased  max speeds for their Vivid 300  service from 325Mb to 345Mb in some cases. This will ensure that the stats are healthy when speed sampling is done by the regulator.

Your best advice, if you want justice, is to follow this through to management and then, if necessary, to the ombudsman.

0 Kudos