Menu
lahakica
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

very slow broadband speeds

Having been a very satisfied virgin broadband customer for many years i have been having a nightmare with speeds since i upgraded to the 200mb service.Early mornings i am getting around or above the 200mb level however by the evening this reduces to an average of around 5mb and regularly goes below 1mb.With a household of 7 people this is totally useless and pages load in a fashion i haven't seen since dial up days.I have spend hours on the phone to various departments at virgin and their attitude is that there is a problem in the area which has been going on since nov 2014 and will not be resolved until nov 2016 at the earliest and i have to put up with it or change ISP.I feel that having been a loyal customer for many years and paying in excess of £140pm for a lot of that time I am being pushed out by Virgin and that my custom is no longer wanted,I suspect that this due to 2 reasons.Firstly i recently cancelled all my premium Tv channels as i have swapped to Sky Q and therefore my bill is only around £65pm.Secondly I accept that with a household of 7 we are heavy users and this has been mentioned in more that one conversation with the technical team ,i was advised that i had reached the 500gb limit however this was quickly dismissed when i questioned its existence.Unfortunately I am now looking around and will investigate the new Vodafone bundles which seem reasonably priced and hopefully will be able to provide downstream rates above 5mb at peak times.For information I am in the Epsom area in case anyone else is having this issue.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: very slow broadband speeds

Hi lahakica, 

Thanks for posting! I am sorry to hear that you've been having trouble with your broadband speeds running at around 1 Mbps on a 200 Mbps connection. I apologise for any inconvenience caused.

I have had a look at things from here and I noticed that your area cable seems to suffer some load issues, especially during the peak hours. We're planning to undertake some upgrades to parts of our external network in your area in order to combat this.

The upgrades will be to improve bandwidth and performance, especially during the peak hours, the reference number for this is F003292492 and is currently scheduled for review around 30/11/16. Should you require any further updates on this then post back here closer to the date and we'll gladly take a look at things for you.

Take care, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
lahakica
Joining in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Adam

Thanks for your reply,unfortunately looking through the forums this seems to be an ongoing problem for a long time and already 2 previously given review dates have passed without any resolution.In the circumstances I am waiting until the 30/11/16 to see if there is any improvement as i am very keen to stay with Virgin which has always been first class until this problem arose.I don't hold out much hope however and therefore i am putting steps in place re emails etc in preparation of swapping to another ISP should this date pass without any improvement. When we returned our surplus tivo box to the local click and collect store they commented that they were getting about 5 virgin packages a day,clearly this area seems to have been abandoned by Virgin.

Thanks

Mike

0 Kudos
lahakica
Joining in
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Just received new superhub 3 as i was told superhub 2 could not support 200mb service,although i pointed out it could at 8am .

This seems to be my average performance in the evenings ,my family are now using their mobile data as it is much quicker.

Any comment Virgin ?

Share Image

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi lahakica

Thanks for taking the time to post back on the community.

My apologies that you are getting slow broadband speeds outside of peak hours.

Was the speed test completed through a wired or wireless connection? I can see that you have quite a high number of devices connected to the Hub 3.0 and it would be good if you can complete a speed test whilst the Hub 3.0 is in modem mode as this will eliminate other devices connected.

I've taken a look at the high peak time traffic fault in your area (F003292492) and this is still showing a review date of 30th November.

Let me know how you get on

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
lahakica
Joining in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sam

I have done several tests with all items disconnected other than one desktop pc which is hard wired ,I am still getting speeds of around 5mb in the evenings.

The review date for the supposed fault(F003292492) has now passed and i was wondering if there was any update.

thanks

Mike

0 Kudos
Neal-UK
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Can you also take a look at the Burnley, Lancashire area also as for the past week our internet has gone from 100 down to 10 Mb/s most of the time now.

We have come back to Virgin after a problem-free internet for many years on Sky Fibre Pro.  We only moved due to the offers but we will not stick around if this is what is expected from Virgin.

And now getting slowerAnd now getting slowerAnd now getting slowerAnd now getting slowerAnd now getting slowerAnd now getting slowerAnd now getting slowerAnd now getting slowerFirst joined VirginFirst joined Virgin

And now getting slowerAnd now getting slower

-----------
Utility Discussion Forums - www.utilities.zone
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hiya Iahakica,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I appreciate the speed tests that you completed.

With the high peak time traffic fault, our engineers are still working on this and the review date is 8th February 2017. I will pass this across to one of my colleagues who will be in touch with more information.

Neal-UK : - I can see that you have created your own thread which is great and we will be in touch shortly in regards to your slow speeds.

Regards

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
lahakica
Joining in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sam

thanks for reply i feel that i have no alternative other than to switch provider, this peak time issue has been going on for over 3 years and the review date just keeps getting put back by a few months with nothing being achieved,might as well just review it in 2020 and see where we are !

I will also be flagging this up with our local press as clearly this is a problem specific to this area and either nobody is concerned or competent to sort the problem.I now have numerous speed tests records which i will be sending to various organisations to illustrate what an awful service i am receiving for the pleasure of paying for a 200mb service.

Mike

0 Kudos
TimR
Up to speed
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I'd seriously start looking at a new provider.  ( Notice my fix date ? ).

Struggling VM BB [Over Utilisation Fault, Fix date 17th November 2135 ]
VM Telephone
Sky Q UHD Multiscreen
0 Kudos