Menu
Destinyyyy
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

very SLOW speeds compared to the 100mb/s promised

Hi,

I recently opted for the 100mbs virgin media contract (last week) and I am getting very slow speeds in area 11 (Edinburgh).

The highest speed I could get was 35-40 mbs, very far from 100mb/s.

The slowest being 7 mbs.

What is happening in this area?!

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: very SLOW speeds compared to the 100mb/s promised

By "Internet plug" do you mean a powerline adapter?  These devices can go wrong and can be slowed by interference on your electrical wiring.  Always best to test with a wired connection direct to the hub to rule out any third party equipment as the bottleneck.

All UK ISPs provide up to speeds and none will guarantee you max speed all the time.  Having said that I'm not suggesting that it is correct to get very slow speeds at peak times, I'm just trying to collect information on speeds at different times of day in order to diagnose your issue.  If you don't want my help, then I'll walk away and leave you to wait for the VM staff to get to this thread.

As I don't work for VM I can't say exactly what work is being done in Edinburgh, but I know in my neck of the woods (Wigan) utilisation has been an issue for some time and they have been making some progress on improving things since December.  It is not a small job to upgrade capacity to cope with increased demand, but some areas seem to be doing better than others.  However without confirmation that off peak speeds are normal then it is only speculation that it is a utilisation issue.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Are you using a wired Ethernet connection to the VM hub or a wireless connection? Wireless is easily disrupted by a number of external factors, so a wired test is the best way to get a true picture of what speed your line is able to achieve. It also helps to pinpoint if the issue is with the wireless or your line.  Some wireless devices are limited to around 40 Mbps by their hardware.

Are you seeing slow speeds all day or only at peak times (typically 4pm-11pm weekdays and weekends)? Some parts of Edinburgh are suffering with over utilisation, which results in very slow speeds at peak times but full speed at off peak times.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

0 Kudos
Destinyyyy
Joining in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I am using a wired Ethernet connection through internet plug.

And I am using it after work (after 6.30pm). What is the point of paying for 100mbs if this cannot be guaranteed at any time?

Is there any improvement ongoing in Edinburgh?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

By "Internet plug" do you mean a powerline adapter?  These devices can go wrong and can be slowed by interference on your electrical wiring.  Always best to test with a wired connection direct to the hub to rule out any third party equipment as the bottleneck.

All UK ISPs provide up to speeds and none will guarantee you max speed all the time.  Having said that I'm not suggesting that it is correct to get very slow speeds at peak times, I'm just trying to collect information on speeds at different times of day in order to diagnose your issue.  If you don't want my help, then I'll walk away and leave you to wait for the VM staff to get to this thread.

As I don't work for VM I can't say exactly what work is being done in Edinburgh, but I know in my neck of the woods (Wigan) utilisation has been an issue for some time and they have been making some progress on improving things since December.  It is not a small job to upgrade capacity to cope with increased demand, but some areas seem to be doing better than others.  However without confirmation that off peak speeds are normal then it is only speculation that it is a utilisation issue.

0 Kudos
snowy25
Superfast
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Yes "up to" is the get out clause for virtually every single ISP.  If you look at any contract it will always be up to X speed.  This means that the ISP can avoid any backlash when a customer gets a very poor speed.  If you are getting slow speeds at peak times and normal speeds off peak then its highly likely a utilisation problem.  If you are getting slow speed at all times of the day then its likely to be something else.  What is likely to happen is someone with more knowledge will ask you to post your logs so they can check power levels etc.  A mod will then be able to check if there is ongoing issues in the area and will usually respond in a couple of days. 

The problem with VM is that they continue to sell in areas where there are known issues, thus making the issues worse.  They have been doing this for years and there is evidence all over this forum to show that.  Unfortunately its all about the money these days and customers suffer for that.  Rather than preemptively upgrading areas prior to a sales push they do it the wrong way around.  This means if you are in that sales push area you will see your connection suffer. 

0 Kudos
Destinyyyy
Joining in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Oh well, sorry for having been salty with you guys, especially you Scott.

And yes, I am using a powerline adapter.

It's true that years ago in a different flat I didn't have these kind of issues, always getting constant 100mbs speed.

Hopefully, these problems won't persist for the next few months.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
Vinny
Tuning in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Think yourself lucky  having been a cable customer since 2000/2001  I have NEVER had ANY consistent service either through NTL or Virgin Media  supposed to be on a vivid 200 connection but most of the time its between 30 to 48  Recently did a speed test with an iPhone 2.4gh at home and then again 2 hours later in a more rural area using a sky connection and down a normal telephone line (copper) the result was better, not by much but a better speed all the same,  my son said so much for your superfast broadband service ha ha!   

by the way I have had a download of 98 and another at 124 but these were a long time ago and only just the twice !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   

0 Kudos
gabriel-deliu
Settling in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

It's not just the speed that's off but the latency as well.
You need relatively low latency if you play online games, preferably < 100ms. I live in SW10 and each evening from 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm my latency jumps up top 800ms even though I have no active downloads.
This is an usual google.co.uk ping at that peak time:
Reply from 62.252.115.152: bytes=32 time=29ms TTL=59
Reply from 62.252.115.152: bytes=32 time=208ms TTL=59
Reply from 62.252.115.152: bytes=32 time=535ms TTL=59
Reply from 62.252.115.152: bytes=32 time=815ms TTL=59
Reply from 62.252.115.152: bytes=32 time=707ms TTL=59
Reply from 62.252.115.152: bytes=32 time=444ms TTL=59
Reply from 62.252.115.152: bytes=32 time=487ms TTL=59
Reply from 62.252.115.152: bytes=32 time=13ms TTL=59
Reply from 62.252.115.152: bytes=32 time=14ms TTL=59

I tried calling 150 but all I get are people that tell me the same story: restart the router, disconnect and reconnect the cables, etc. They say that they know there is a problem and that an upgrade is scheduled next week for the entire area. I've been getting that for the last 6 months.
When I try to explain my latency issues they are completely lost. They don't really know what that is.

I don't know what else to do, do you guys know who can I actually speak to or maybe it's time for a new ISP.

0 Kudos
Dyno86
Joining in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I'm on Vivid 200. Speed has been pathetic by any standard for weeks. I thought at first it was just Netflix vamping all the power but every speed test recently is less than 20Mb that's my wired connection. My wireless even in the same room is beyond useless often hanging around 1Mb. Now some may say it's a peak problem but it's currently 01:07am my wired speed is 200Mb great stuff! Wireless in the same room as the hub less than 6ft away no walls nothing in the way totally open to the room, 7Mb **bleep**! Now Virgin always love to say they can't do anything about wifi but this is pathetic so I'm hoping the engineer on Tuesday can sort it out. I've used other 3rd party routers with VM in Router mode thingy and get amazing speeds anywhere in the house well above what the VM provides but I use this as a test case to show how Shoddy the VM hub is. But as always virgin say they can't promise wifi speeds blah blah blah but won't accept any input that the router is crap at wifi even with others showing much better performance. I know my problem isn't isolated anyone got any ideas on how to virgin to accept the facts?
0 Kudos
Normanrobertson
Tuning in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi

I also live in the Edinburgh 11 area..... But I can go one better.     I was recently upgraded to 200 Mbs and in 25% of the house my speed is under 5 Mbs......      

Do you have walls in your house?     That is what I have been told is causing my low speeds !!  

My advice..... Give them two weeks to fix and don't let them string you along changing channels

I have just cancelled my broadband, tv and landline.     Better to pay for a service you are getting, rather than 1 that is claimed.     

So far I have not met anyone getting the speeds that are claimed.

good luck

0 Kudos