Menu
fluffyblue
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

throttling?

Hi,

I am just wondering if I am missing something here. The postcode is M22. 

I have a 200Mbps line and I get 200Mbps or thereabouts (often higher) pretty much at all times excluding the peak ones. This tells me that the router and line and the pc and whatever else are working fine on my end as long as the bandwidth is provided. There are no other factors within the household that would affect the performance in such a way that the timing becomes an issue - the test conditions are the same on this end.

For the past 3 weeks in the evenings roughly 7-10pm after I get back from work I am constantly seeing the speed at 5Mbps. This is not oscillating up to 150 then 40 then 5 and so on - nope. It is a constant limit of around 5Mbps. Sometimes it is 4.5 and it went as high as 6Mbps once.

I think that this cannot be just a contention issue (and please correct me if I am wrong here). If there was someone (or all of them) on my road downloading something huge then there would be a reduction in the available bandwidth whilst it is going on and the line might slow down a little bit I guess. Although with 200Mbps you really would need to be downloading every digital image ever created to hog the entire line for 3 weeks in a row.

My point is that it seems to me that the available bandwidth is not determined by the available capacity but by hard limits. So whether the line is used or not, you still end up limited. I could be the only guy in the post zombie apocalypse and I would still get 5Mbps after work.

Now I am not a network engineer so if someone can explain why is this happening then I would be extremely grateful. I do have a CS 1st class degree and 17 years of software engineering but am struggling to comprehend why would there be a hard limit. Is the technology not more fluid than that.

What really grates me is that I see all these adverts for top speed and such and I am paying £47 for the privilege (stopped watching tv years ago so it is acceptable up to a point). However I am currently getting a download speed that is 4 times less than what I had 15 years ago (had a nice consistent 19Mbps and it was not limited).

Before I upgraded to 200 I was on 100 or whatever Mbps and hoped that the occasional contention issues would be smoothed over. But even then the speed would drop to half lets say and oscillate according to the usage and to be fair didn't affect me. Now it seems that it is just limited.

I was thinking that these possible new 300Mbps upgrades would solve my current issues in the future but as things stand they don't look like they would. Could have a 1Gbps line and it would still be 5Mbps limit in the evening.

So I would just like to see what peoples opinions are as I even contemplated paying £1500 just to have a line dug up to enable me to have reliable internet as I am running out of options. I don't want to go back to BT lines as I just strongly disagree with some of their business practices although to be fair the line itself was a steady 67Mbps whenever (with Sky as a provider). I also don't live in a flat to make hyperoptic interested in providing a service.

Anyway any advice is much appreciated. 

0 Kudos
Swifty79
Tuning in
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: throttling?

What they don't tell you in the sales pitch is that a lot of areas are over utilized and everybody gets slowed down at peak times to a snails pace. Expect multiple review dates with an F fault code and pennies off your bill as a sweetener.
fluffyblue
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Well my speed has gone up to 7Mbps this evening. Considering I am paying a substantial amount for 200Mbps this is just not acceptable. If anyone knows of any alternatives please let me know. I am willing to pay more (and cabling installation if required) for a reliable line. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi fluffyblue, 

Welcome to the forums, I am sorry to see that you have been having trouble with your connection. 

I have taken a look and it seems you are affected by fault ref F004834716 for slow speeds at peak times. The current review date is 10/05/2017. 

Unfortunately I don't have a lot of other news on this currently. Please give this thread a bump closer to the time and we will get an update for you. 

All the best

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
derek3862
Just joined
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi

l live in the same area

I have the pleasure in paying for 200mb as well  i get 120 at 6am and at peak times i get 2mb,

I can see your offices from my window, on one occasion i went out walked the  dog and came and back while i was still on hold.

This is appalling,

Ive ranted and raved many times since March and got precisely nowhere, and the latest fix date is 5 July F004834716 area20

Living in a main city i find this astounding,  if its over utilization, as i keep getting told, i don't agree with this terminology its been "oversold" by you not us.and yet we have to suffer.

decent steady internet is now a common demand and should be as reliable as the water electricity and gas, i find it extremely distressing that your allowed to get away with this.

i feel completely let down and strung along by tour service, we have teenagers doing exams and adults working from home, and this is the best you can offer us?

i bet you reply with a standard soft answer and don't even look into it

0 Kudos
fluffyblue
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply Emma.

I bumped so can we have an update on F004834716 please?

You mentioned that it will be reviewed on 10/05/2017 and I must admit I find it somewhat disconcerting that there will be a review and not an actual fix.

Furthermore a quick search for this fault shows planned reviews of it in January.

So can you please explain what a review is? Why did the review not yield in remedies of some sort? And if you know that there is a fault why review it at all - why not schedule fixing work?

This gentleman from the neighbourhood that is affected by the same fault has suggested that the fix date is 05/07/17 so can you confirm that is what is going to happen?

Finally, since this is a recognised fault can you please reimburse all the affected customers? What are the SLAs specifying in our contracts?

Thank you

p.s. Derek I know how you feel mate. The offices are within spitting distance and I am pretty sure the speed there is not affected. Otherwise this would've been resolved a while back.

cje85
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

These faults affect small areas (sometimes right down to street level) so the other member in the same area probably has a different fault code and a separate review date.

Unfortunately the residential service doesn't have SLAs.

0 Kudos