Menu
MrX123
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

super slow broadband

I have 50Mbps fiber broadband, checked with VM representative before purchase and she confirmed it is around 45-48Mbps during peak hours. But what most time I get around 2Mbps throughout whole evening and weekends, and in the mornings around 30Mbps - see print screen below from the test just now. I bought it a month ago and had these issues from day one. And interestingly two weeks after purchase the prices have changed and for what I am paying now I could have 100Mbps or pay less for 50Mbps. Great...

What is the email address for direct communication? Whenever I click chat in the help section it says all agents are busy and it says to phone or email VM but nowhere on the website it gives the email address!

temp02.JPG

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: super slow broadband

Evening MrX123,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting.

Sorry to see that you are experiencing slow broadband speeds. I know how frustrating this can be.

When I checked your account, there is a high peak time traffic fault in your area which is causing these slow speeds. Our networks team are investigating the problem and are improving bandwidth and performance to help with this issue. The reference number is F003357170 and with a review date of 1st February 2017.

One of my colleagues will be in touch shortly with more information in regards to this issue.

Regards

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
MrX123
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the update. What does 'high peak time traffic fault' mean?

I await the call/email from your colleague. It seems impossible to get someone through your chat facility.

FYI I checked speed over wifi and lan and these are the same, i.e. super slow.

0 Kudos
thepixel
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Basically it means that virgin have not upgraded the network and it's maxing out. Your fault is unlikely to be fixed with a date that keeps getting pushed back. Whereby the issue will get bad.

Some say that many years ago some area actually got the issue fixed, we believe this to be an urban myth Smiley Wink , but 98% of this forum is about the crappy network!

I still dont understand why they can legally sell this knowing that the areas are maxed out.

0 Kudos
MrX123
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I have just exchanged a few private messages with the support and they need to upgrade the network, as you said. "It's unlikely that this will happen prior to" February 2017. But they don't even say when it will happen and if this will be in reasonable time.

I checked with them prior to signing the contract and they did confirm the average speeds during peak times for this very address. Most of the peak times I get 10-20% of that. So I am really surprised they knew the network needs upgrading to achieve the speeds they were quoting, yet still cheated me.

They are installing hyperoptic in the area this month, good timing.

0 Kudos
MrX123
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Looks like you were right all along. I waited until the first review date in February and this week got this in a private message "The current fault F003357170 has a review date of 17/05/17. As a result I have applied a credit to your account to cover this period for you (...)". They credit 50% of monthly bill. I called them today and cancelled the contract giving the reason as they do not fulfil they part of the agreement. They guy was like "but if we keep crediting you until May, wouldn't you be happy then". In essence he was asking me if I can accept speeds at 10% of the contractual speed during peak times.

He didn't comment after I asked how come they confirmed peak time speeds to me before I signed the contract as 95% of contract speed even though they know the area is already max out. 

Interestingly after I explained everything he still wanted to charge me early disconnection fee for the next 9-10 months. Not sure whether this was really that difficult to comprehend that it is them how fails to meet their contractual obligations, especially since they confirmed this i.e. about the fault and the credit. But in the end he confirmed I do not have to pay the early disconnection fee. I am now in my one moth notice period.

The best part was that he didn't know a difference between bit and byte. So I say my speed is 3-5 Mbps with an "up to 50 Mbps" broadband deal and he asks what is "bit". Ohh boy...

To add to the burden Virgin recently connected a street of houses just next to our estate, I saw their team cut the asphalt make individual connection to each house. So this would most likely further reduce my low speed. At first I was hoping this is the system upgrade they were talking about.

Luckily for me Hyperoptic connected my estate this January. I have been with them for the last two weeks as a trial and I actually get 5-10% better speeds than what I am paying for now. Speeds don't drop during peak time. Whether this is because it is a new infrastructure or because they connect fibre all the way to the flat, hard to comment. They give speed guarantee rather than speed "up to" as Virgin and others do. At the end of the day what is important to me is that Hyperoptic delivers what I signed up to and Virgin does not.

Wishing you all speeds at least close to what you pay for.

0 Kudos
voicon
Up to speed
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Glad you are sorted, I'm still considering my options, I can only get 76mb fibre and wondering if that will be enough during the day, it really annoys me with the aweful peak time speeds. I really don't think the kids will put up with it!

0 Kudos
MrX123
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I had 50Mbps with Virgin. So the real speed was 3-5Mbps during peak times, this is around 375-625kB/s. Wasn't even enough for browsing internet by two people. Youtube was a major problem, we used the lower end of resolutions to keep the buffering ahead of progress bar.

I now have true 20Mbps (2.5MB/s) and it flies for what I need, for example HD Youtube and skype at the same time at evenings is not a problem.

0 Kudos