Menu
mrjhunt
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

suddenly seeing 15-20% Dropped packets

In the last couple of days I've noticed my internet connection (50mb fibre) has become slower and more unreliable. The manifestation of this are things like my VPN connection to my office keeps dropping and then reconnecting, voice calls keep dropping in and out, and web pages taking longer to load.

I have a BQM monitor on my link and the above issues have coincided with seeming to be getting about 15-20% dropped packets on my connection.You can see two graphs below. We are in Twickenham, south west London.

I have called in (and tried things like restarting super hub) but apparently the technician said there were no obvious issues. An engineer is booked for later in the week. Anyone else having issues or have any suggestions?

19/3/1719/3/1720/3/1720/3/17

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: suddenly seeing 15-20% Dropped packets

Hello mrjhunt

Sorry you are having problems with packet loss, I wonder what is going on. I notice that you have an engineer visit at the moment, hopefully they will get to the bottom of it, please let us know how it goes.

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
mrjhunt
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi.

The engineer visited on Friday morning and said he had seen many similar issues that week. All linked with very slow upload speeds (mine was about 0.04mbps when he measured it). He said networks team were investigating an issue somewhere in the core network (and nothing he could do) that was causing lots of people to have slow or no upload speed.

As it happens now, the issue appears to have been fixed. Not seeing the packet drops now (since about 11.30am on Friday according to BQM), and upload speeds back to normal. Took about 5 days for the issue to be fixed.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hello mrjhunt,

Thanks for the update Smiley Happy

Good to hear your connection has improved, I appreciate that you've kept us in the loop.

Let me know if you need help with anything else.

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos