Menu
hazel69
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

speed problem

Hi I have recently upgraded to vivid 200  my speed is still slow 34mbp over wireless I only have a netbook and 3 devices. I do not have any of them hard wired, so I cant check the speed that way.  I thought I would get it alittle faster. We are not a Techy family. Any advise would help

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: speed problem

Wireless reception is affected by many factors like Range, Client hardware, the Topograpy of your home, and the big killer, Wireless interference. To test the actual speed of the internet connection you really need to test wired to get an accurate result.

There are many types of wireless clients out there with different capabilities, ranging from basic single stream devices capable of around 35 to 40Mbps on the 2.4Ghx band, to MIMO dual band devices which should see about 180 Mbps on the 5gHz band to the newer Wireless AC devices which should get 200Mbps using the 5GHz band.

What devices are you using (Make / Model)

You can try and optimise your wireless signal to improve speeds a bit, but the speed will be constrained by the capabilities of your wireless devices

I would ensure the Hub is placed in a central, open position, away from obstacles and electrical devices.

You could try changing the wireless channel manually. Downloading a wireless scanner like InSSIDer for Windows or WiFiAnalyser for Android would help by showing you the surrounding wireless networks, the channels they are broadcasting on, and their signal strengths, so you can select the best wireless channel.
Bear in mind that the wifi scanner will not show interference from other sources of wireless interference such as A\V streaming devices, Baby monitors, Chordless phones, Microwave ovens, Plasma TVs, Security systems, etc.

Setting the Hub's radio setting to 300Mbps (or 40Mhz channel) is not advised on the 2.4GHz band as it takes up over half of the available spectrum, making it prone to wireless interference..

Using the wider, usually less congested 5Ghz band could help, if your client devices support it.

chutwutt
Superfast
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

use 5ghz.... is the short version!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

If you were not getting max speeds previously, you wouldn't get them now with a speed upgrade as you seem to of been hitting your devices/environments max capability.

May as well use the cooling off period and revert to old package if you are not going to be hard wired.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
chutwutt
Superfast
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

those devices are poo. last year my samsung galaxy S4 which I got for £50 pre owned got full 200 wireless

why

cuz the phone has a single stream 802.11ac chip

havn said that, u dont know ur real speed unless u use a wired connection to test it..

0 Kudos