Menu
tonytango
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

speed please

Why is it that every night at 7pm the internet speed drops from over 150mbps to below 20mbps ?

i know that people come home from work/school but the speed should not drop that much

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: speed please

Slow speeds at peak times (typically 4pm-11pm weekdays and weekends) but full speed at off peak times is normally a symptom of high utilisation/contention in your area.

Somebody from the VM forum team should be along in a few days (up to a week) to check your connection and can confirm if there is a known issue with your segment of the network. If that is the case they should provide a fault reference and pass your details onto another team who should inform you about your credit options for the lack of service via a PM. They should also be able to provide a review date for the fault. Note that it is a review date not an expected fix date and some customers affected by this kind of issue have been waiting over a year for a fix.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi tonytango,

Thanks for posting!

Really sorry to hear you're experiencing speed issues.

I've located your account and everything is looking great at the moment. No network issues in your area and all levels are within spec. Are you still experiencing slow speeds? Do you connect wired or wirelessly?

Speak soon Smiley Very Happy

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
tonytango
Tuning in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

it make's no difference weather i connect wireless or wired the speed still drop's at 7pm 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello tonytango,

Thanks for getting back to us Smiley Happy

I've just double checked the usage in your area and it's currently looking fine. Are you able to set-up a TBB monitor up for us so we can get a more detailed report about what is happening with your connection.

Hope to hear back from you again soon,

Take care.

Heather_J

0 Kudos
tonytango
Tuning in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi,no i am not going to set up a tbb monitor as the last time i installed that i had to completely restore my laptop.

this is the speed i am getting at the moment  http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/6020286132

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

tbb isn't something you install its a online service. you dont need to make any chances to your laptop. If you did last time you didn't setup the right thing.
0 Kudos
tonytango
Tuning in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

well i am not going to use it again

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

OK, good luck
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi tonytango,

Sorry again for the trouble.

If you're not a fan of the broadband quality monitor, that's no problem!

I'd like you to try running a speed test with the hub in Modem Mode to see if the results differ at all.

Speak soon Smiley Very Happy

Josh

0 Kudos