Menu
cosmin28
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

speed is bad ! under 50Mbps

Hello, 

Can someone tell me why the speed got so low ? It was always between 100 and 130 Mbps as download rate, now I have between 24 and 50 Mbps. The overseas speeds i am not even going to mention. Is there a real reason for this ? I have the 150 Mbps plan. Reboot does not help. I am using LAN most of the time, and AC wifi around the house, so I am guessing the issue is not my laptop. Tested on Windows10, MAC OSX 10.12 and Ubuntu 16.04.

If anyone can provide real answers, that would be much appreciated.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: speed is bad ! under 50Mbps

Hi cosmin28,

Welcome to the Community!

Really sorry to hear you're experiencing speed issues.

I've located your account and I can see an issue with the network in your area affecting speeds at peak times - Ref.(F004680032). Our technicians are working to get this resolved and have set a review date of 26th April 2017.

I'm really sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.

All the best

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
cosmin28
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Josh,

At this time i am writing, my speed is 11 Mbps on download. Even the virgin media community login hangs..it took 40 seconds to login. I am switching to 4G..this is unusable. 26th of April is a prettty long time to fix this issue. At least tell them to do something with the packet loss. I can cope with lower speeds..but packet loss drives me mad..rebooted the router meantime..still the same. Waiting for better days.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@cosmin28

April is NOT a fix date it is only a review date, don't take it as a fix date as you will be dissapointed.

As to 'telling them to do something about the packet loss' sadly that is part of over utilization asyou are fighting your neighbours for the speed and that causes the issues.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
cosmin28
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I understand battling over speed with my neighbours since we are splitting the monthly cost..not, but packet loss is a different thing..it is about bad management and load balance. Stay in school.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

If you understand about contention then you understand you are literally fighting your neighbours for your packets of data to be processed. As VM is set to best effort and there is no priority you lose packets. So while contention is easily visible with the speed loss, packet loss is also a part of it.

Maybe I should word things better so you don't feel like a big, clever kid when you clearly didn't understand Smiley Happy
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
cosmin28
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Obviously
0 Kudos
w4rch1ld
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Don't believe Virgin's comments. If you signed up for 50Mb, and your speeds are now running around 3Mb, which mine is, then it is more than likely due to their "fair use policy", which they throw at you every time you complain about their terrible service.

They are effectively saying that, when I had 200Mb broadband, they throttled my connection down to 30Mb due to "fair use", which they say is to allow a level playing field for all the people in your area wanting to use broadband. What they are really saying is that they cannot supply 200Mb to all the people they are taking money from and are splitting the pipe up between them all under a false pretence. 

It is like offering a large company 10 technical staff but only giving them 2, and pretending it's so your other customers can have a fair use of your technicians. They CANNOT supply the service you are paying for. Why isn't OffCom looking at this? Why are they allowed to get away with it under the small print nonsense of "fair use"? It's a blatant rip-off!

I am cancelling Virgin and going with anyone else. Literally anyone!

0 Kudos
cosmin28
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

The only reason i signed up with virgin is that they were advertising high speed..which is something rare in uk. For a while it worked like a dream, i was so amazed downlaoding files even with 18 MBps..but in the last 2 weeks this changed completely..is like they added another 20 customers to the same pipe but forgot to increase the bandwith..which i think is the actual answer i am looking for =)) anyway..even in case of congestion there still should be a load balance algorithm that would allow dropping the speed to let's say 20% which would mean in theory 30Mbps and a real transfer rate of about 4 MBps, avoiding packet loss creating a buffer so tcp could do its job. But hey, a kid like me obviously does not understand how things work. So i will stay on 4G for a while Smiley Happy
0 Kudos