Menu
jordo2k1
Tuning in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

slow speed on vivid 200

I have been on vivid 200 for a while now and apart from a few issues in the past when ever i have used speedtest.net i have had consistent speeds over around 200mb and even over that at around 216-220mb at times so I've been made up with my service.

however yesterday i ran a random test as i was getting a few disconnects and have not been able to get over 112mb and have been getting mostly 20-50mb.

Today was the same and speed topped out at 112mb which many may say is great but I've never had speed so slow and know that i can achieve more at this property so i rang 150 from my land line and spoke to customer service who said they could see there end that there was an upgrade in the area in progress to the cabinet wiring so in peak times i could see some slowdown.

he then said he would speak to the manager about another issue and had me switch off my virgin router and my asus router so he could send some signals down the line this did not help.

now this is the shocker, he then stated he could see i was using a standard ethernet cable and that was the reason i could not achieve 200mb speeds as i would need to go and buy a cat 7 patch cable.

i'm not thick by any stretch of the imagination and have been building systems and installing routers and modems since i was 16(i'm now 34 sadly) so to hear this i was shocked and stated that the cat 5e i was using was perfectly fine for 200mb speeds and had achieved it regularly since I've had the service. he then stated to try it anyway and it was at this point i ended the conversation as quickly as possible as i knew i was out of luck with this customer service team member.

my setup up is a super hub 2.0 in modem mode (had the 3.0 but it doesn't work in modem mode) and a asus rt-n66u connected via cat5 cables.

any ideas what the issue could be with the slow speeds all of a sudden? i'm in area 20 and the postcode ch42 3uz.

cheers 

Mike

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: slow speed on vivid 200

Hi Mike

I'd like to say I'm surprised by the comments that some support staff (not just VM staff) come out with but I have been around the block enough to no longer be surprised, just disappointed.

With regard to the support staff comment about peak time slow downs. Are you seeing slow speeds all day or only at peak times (typically 4pm-11pm weekdays and weekends)? Some areas are suffering with over utilisation, which results in very slow speeds at peak times but full speed at off peak times.  With the kids off school right now that peak time window might be larger than usual.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

0 Kudos
jordo2k1
Tuning in
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi pal,

I noticed the slowdown first at around 8am last night and did my first speed test at around 9am this morning and its not been any better since the speedtest last night.

i originally thought id been throttled so i wasn't concerned as i do download allot for the xbox one and also pc etc so i just gathered that virgin had capped me for a bit but then i read that they were no longer throttling downloads only uploads so this alerted me to investigate the issue a bit more.

i will have to test the speed at around 11pm tonight and see were i am as its getting on my nut a bit now.

cheers

mike

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

9 in the morning is off peak so if you didn't get improved speeds at that time then that doesn't suggest a peak time utilisation issue.

If you go to http://192.168.100.1/ to get the VM hub GUI. Don't login but instead click on Router Status which is either a button in the top right of the screen or a text link at the bottom of the screen depending on which hub you have. Click on the Downstream, Upstream and Network Log sections and copy & paste the figures from those screens and post them here, don't worry about the formatting or you can post screenshots if that is easier. Be careful to edit out or obscure any reference to your WAN IP in the log to protect your privacy.

The community can have a look for you and see if anything in the figures looks wrong and advise accordingly. Or you can wait for the VM staff to pick up this thread (can take 7-10 days) and run checks on your line.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

jordo2k1
Tuning in
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Here's the screenshots for downstream,upstream and network log.

Cheers

mike

downstream.jpgnetwork log.jpgupstream.jpg

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mike

sorry for the delay in replying, been a hectic week.  I can't see anything wrong with the power levels posted and log looks OK with only one timeout.

I'm afraid I'm out of ideas and my advice would be to sit tight and wait for the forum team to get to this thread and see if they can see any issue with the network traffic in your area or other issues that won't always show up in the hub stats.

0 Kudos
jordo2k1
Tuning in
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

yea cheers pal thanks for having a look.

one thing i will say is i am in area 20 which seems to be bad at the moment and there is an issue raised with a refrence F004252742 so it could be part of that but nothing was mentioned on the phone.

i am touching 130mb so its not snail slow by any means but still i know i can get 220 consistent on speedtest.net so why should i settle for slower?

mike

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Area 20 is just a billing code related to the operator that originally installed the cables in your area, rather than a section of the network or geographical area so that fault ref won't be for all users that are grouped as area 20.

0 Kudos
jordo2k1
Tuning in
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Ahhhh right thanks for clearing that up,i need to investigate more.

cheers

0 Kudos
jordo2k1
Tuning in
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thought id post my thinkbroadband graph from the 2nd of jan for anyone to look at.

not had a response from virgin yet but will be ringing in the morning to resolve the issue or cancel due to speed drop.

My Broadband Ping - vivid 200 test
0 Kudos