Menu
Highlighted
Dave991
Joining in
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

slow speed in area 20!!

I live in area 20 and have the hub 3 router, 5 days ago it started flashing green lights and is very slow only giving about 1 or 2% of the speed I pay for on 100 M B.

I have phoned virgin twice and been fobbed off twice with it'll be fixed in 2 hours and then it'll be fixed in 24 hours.....neither happened.

I'm tired off wasting my time going through call centres just to be lied to, just give people a straight answer of what is going on!?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
alalx
Dialled in
Message 11 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: slow speed in area 20!!

Ask Customer Service if you are in an oversubscribed area, if this is the case do not expect a fix for years if ever. Move to a different ISP as soon as possible.

I am in a Virgin Over Utilised Area - F003320128 - Ongoing faulty unreliable service from Virgin Media since July 2015

All Replies
LegendUK
Tuning in
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

You're not alone. There seems to be a problem with Area 20 (once again!).

There's a couple of us posted yesterday about it here: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Crap-speed-for-200meg/td-p/3452362

0 Kudos
JPL8
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Area 20 is a large, diverse billing reference that is made up of an amalgamation of geographic areas — they're relics from all the different cable companies that eventually became VM. I live in Portsmouth, but area 20 also covers Manchester, for example. The fault affecting me is completely different to the faults affecting Manchester or any other parts of area 20.

I don't know why VM make so much of a big deal about these billing references when they're next to useless to the customer, but then with VM why should we expect anything different. Clarity and simplicity, why bother with that when you make things really, really complicated.

Anyway, you're much better off mentioning where you live or giving the first three digits of your postcode. Just be careful about how much info you reveal or the mods will edit your post.

"Cable broadband is typically faster than copper-based services, but a significant minority of users experience severe slowdowns in peak times." — Ofcom, UK Home Broadband Performance, November 2016
0 Kudos
Dave991
Joining in
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Well that sounds typical.

I live in Bournemouth so just assumed area 20 would probably represent Dorset or something.

0 Kudos
belial
Joining in
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Having slow speed too for the past week,  area 20, however I'm about 290 miles north of Bournemouth...

Will anyone actually help/respond to these messages?

0 Kudos
Intercityfirm70
Tuning in
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Area 20 here aswell - 200meg getting speeds of 11 meg through the day its beyond a joke

0 Kudos
walt13
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

i'm in area 20 and tonight i got 0.59 mbs download this has been going on for more than 8 months vm will never fix it what a joke
0 Kudos
belial
Joining in
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Cheers guys. Looks as if I'll be leaving once the offer period is over then if nothing has been done about your issues. I wonder if collectively we can put a complaint in to trading standards?
0 Kudos
Dave991
Joining in
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I think I'm going to go down the "I want money off my bill because i'm not getting the service I pay for" first and then leave when the offer period is over in a couple of months to be honest. I had no idea this issue had been going on for so long.

0 Kudos
Bes_Sez
Joining in
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I'm also area 20 (although we are up in Lancashire). After complain about slow speed I was offered an upgrade to 100mb and a Superhub3 (although had to extend my contract another 12 months).

However now these are installed connect speed is worse than ever, 3mb max download.

After a few calls to support I've now been told the work to improve the service will take until November!! However they will offer me a discount (didn't specify how much).

3mb is as much use to me as a wet piece of string, I'm sure sale must have know this issue when they were pushing the upgrade.

Not good, not good at all

0 Kudos