Menu
Sherlock1
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

slow internet speed

Hi, i am in the area 30 and have been having download speed issues, i was on a 50mbs contract and had slow download speeds of around 4.5mbs, we had a engineer out yesterday who fitted a new router and did some as he said "tweeks" we then did a speed check and we had a download speed of 45mbs (yippee problem sorted) so we thought it would be advantagous to increase our internet package due to my daughter studying and using youtube for her work and being able to watch films on our firestick etc, so i contacted virgin and increased our package to 100mbs last night. (now paying even more a month) tested our speed this morning at 09:30 and had a download speed of 103.88mbs and upload of 7.14mbs, fantastic we thought so i decided to moniter it through the day, so this is the results we found. 09:30am 103.88mbs, 11:30am  51,87mbs, 14:30pm 16.19mbs, 20:30pm  4.56mbs, so not only are we paying more now but our speeds have gone backwards again!, Had several conversations with virgin medias tech dept over the last few days and a 1 hour discussion this evening and they are telling me they cant find a fault even after hard wiring my laptop via ethenet and switching all other devices off and just leaving my laptop connected i have just done another test and i am only getting 4.5 mbs. We as a family feel let down now by virgin media and are starting to loose faith in there services and we feel like we have been miss sold our latest package. Just want a good download speed to be able to watch films and browse the internet and most of all get what we are paying for!

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: slow internet speed

Hi Sherlock1,

Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear your speeds have been diminishing. 

I've checked your connection and can also see no issues from here. Your power levels, SNR and area contention are all perfectly healthy. Even at peak times the contention remains fairly low and should barely affect your speed. As you've already been through disconnecting other devices etc to no avail. Could you try one more test for us? Could you try the hub in modem mode? This will eliminate the hubs router functions as a possible cause at the same time as eliminating the other devices on your network again. My feeling is there may be a fault with the hub but I'd need to check modem mode to be sure.

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Sherlock1
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi thanks for your reply, I spent over 2 hours the other night with a chap from tier 2 technical who telediagnosed my computer and did numerous tests even with the computer in safe mode and doing some weird things to the router ( baring in mind the router is new from a previous visit from a vm engineer) and the guy from tier 2 is addiment it's a fault with virgin medias side.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hey Sherlock1,

Thanks for getting back to us Smiley Happy

What was the findings of the tier 2 support, did they suggest what they thought was wrong?

Everything looks within range from our end at the moment.

Hope to hear back from you soon,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Sherlock1
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Heather, tier 2 said it was a fault/demand issue with the server in the villiage ( cannot Suply the demand) we had another engineer out last Saturday and he said he had 4 more speed issues on the same estate all with speed issues around 5pm onwards, spoke to my local computer shop and he said he had spoke to VM and there is plans for a upgrade to our server in march, I then spoke to customer services last night who has gave me a reduction in my monthly charges, the customer service advisor also said he knew about the possible upgrade and said it wouldn't happen overnight, my annoyance is that virgin media obviously knew about the demand issue as there is plans for upgrade but let me increase my monthly internet allowance knowing full well virgin media cannot deliver the goods!
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sherlock1,

Thanks for getting back to us.

In regards to the slow broadband speeds, I have raised this to our networks team and the reference number is F005031820.

To discuss this further I have sent you a PM (purple envelope icon, right corner).

Speak soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos