Menu
sydbardo
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

slow internet speed

Hi,

I switched to Virgin last month and the speed is very patchy and very often slower than my Sky was.When I use speedtest.net I see speeds between 4 up to 45mbps and it really bothers me when it drops to 4-5mbps only.

I would have expected solid 30 plus mbps with this package.

Can you look into it please?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: slow internet speed

Hi sydbardo

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting.

Sorry to read that you're experiencing slow broadband speeds.

When I checked your connection, there is a high peak time traffic fault in your area which is causing slow speeds. Our networks team are investigating the problem and are improving bandwidth and performance to help with this issue. The reference number is F004297301 and with a review date of 6th April.

I did also notice that the downstream power levels are too high at +11.5 dBmV. For this I would like to book an engineer appointment to adjust these for you. I've sent you a PM (purple envelope icon, right corner) with some details for you to confirm please. Once you have replied I can go ahead with the appointment.

Hope to hear from you soon

Sam 

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
sydbardo
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hello

I hope this message will be picked up.

I have been experiencing a rather patchy speed and also it keeps dropping to anything between 4 and 8meg. As soon as I run the test on Virgin Media web and allow 10 min and reboot my router the speed returns to 40-50meg but does not remain at that level for longer than an hour.

It has been like this for several weeks if not few months just did not have time to report.

I suspect there is something wrong with Virgin broadband hardware.

Are you able to assist me and check things up?

Many thanks in advance

Andrew Krukowski

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Andrew,

Hope all is well. Thanks for taking the time to post back on the community.

My apologies that you are still having issues with your broadband speeds.

I've taken a look at your connection and the Hub 3.0 is showing as offline and not polling any data. Is the router turned off as not in use?

If you can post your router information for me please, that will help us further. To do this type in 192.168.0.1 in the address bar, no need to sign in, on the top right you will see router status. Within here you will have downstream, upstream and network log. You can copy and paste this information, that would be great.

Can you also set up a Broadband Quality Monitor as this will check the performance of the connection. If you do create a BQM, you will need to disable the firewall within the router settings for this to work.

Does this happen on both wired and wireless devices?

Let me know how you get on

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
sydbardo
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Samantha, I use all my devices wirelessly but my IMac is the main one and in fact is literally next to the router and yet connected to it wirelessly. My point is that i never really get a consistent 50mbps speed with your broadband and even though the speed has been better since I wrote the last message here and does not go below 10mbps it is still not consistent when i compare it to my previous (cheaper and with lower speed) Orange broadband. Also, my other devices keep dropping connection when I take them 10 meters away from the router (and yes, I am aware of all the general rulers when connecting to wi-fi but before never had this issue with my Orange broadband. You can imagine all of these is just frustrating as I chose Virgin 50mbps speed in order to have faster and solid connection. I can probably survive having my connection anywhere between 10 and 35 mbps but can't really understand why you offer and charge me for 50mbps if I can't get it delivered. I followed the instructions in your message. Sorry, did not see anything on the right hand side. I hope you can connect to my router now as last week I kept rebooting it (or it kept rebooting itself ) . I copied and pasted some info too just in case. I hope to get some constructive feedback/advice. When I use thinkbroadband I get the following most of the times have tested your speed and have recorded an average download speed of: 22.25 Mbps Diagnostic Results... Error in Telephone line 2 Error in Telephone line 1 Wireless primary network is Enabled on 5GHz. Wireless primary network is Enabled on 2.4GHz. Internet connection is good. WiFi signal strength of is -71dBm. WiFi signal strength of is -47dBm. WiFi signal strength of is -74dBm. Thanks Andrew
0 Kudos
DavidJWalker
Rising star
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

try this way http://192.168.0.1/ then Check router status you can do this without logging in and post the power levels that way the diagnostic tool i do not use and rarely people use it

Using VIVID 350 Optical Fibre, Player TV, Talk Weekends

Just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong.
If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful; it may help others
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi sydbardo,

Thanks for getting back in touch.

As you are currently testing through wireless and the devices are connected this way, this can be due to interference and to improve the connection you can change the wireless channel. This will also help in regards to the disconnections. You can use a programme called inSSIDer, that will show you other networks within your area and the channel they are broadcasting on to help choose your own channel. However it won't show any interference's within the home.

On the iMac, does it have an Ethernet port for testing on speedtest.net to see if the speeds differ?

If you go into Network Utility > Info, there should be an option for Link Speed, can you let me know what speed this is showing please?

Speak soon
Sam

0 Kudos
sydbardo
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sam,

Thanks for the info.

I could use the insider app as it requires a registration and purchase, are there any other ways to see the  interference? 

When made wired connection to you router the speed seems between 25-35 and more stable too so I need play with he channels then.

Thanks

Andrew 

0 Kudos
BrianY
Superfast
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Use Inssider home for free!
[3.0.7.48] Is the version in use with Windows 10.
0 Kudos