Menu
obidankenobi
Tuning in
Message 1 of 109
Flag for a moderator

slow broadband speed in the evenings

Hi there i'm new to forums but really feel i need to post something! , i've been experiencing really slow speeds in the evening for the last few weeks , i realise this is peak time but i have the xxl package up to 120mb which to be fair i do receive during the day but from 8pm till i go to bed the service drops to 1-2mb! this is completely unacceptable ive been musing through the forums and posts about slow speeds , ive run all the diagnostics that ive read about theres no issue with my pc ( virus and malware all clear ) ive made sure the startup of the pc isnt doing anything to demanding and i wire my connection through the router ( dont use wireless ) and when i check the service status it says its fine but believe me it isnt!

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3379967846 taken at 22:19 18/3/2014 i will post one in the daytime tomorrow to show you the difference

obidankenobi
Tuning in
Message 2 of 109
Flag for a moderator

Re: slow broadband speed in the evenings

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) madison_d
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 3 of 109
Flag for a moderator

Hi obidankenobi,

Thanks for your post and please accept my apologies for the slow speeds you've been experiencing. 

I have checked your account and I can see your line is affected by a utilisation fault. There has been a large section of work completed on this but a cat-c reseg has been booked in for the start of summer. This should resolve the issues you are having. My apologies for the time frame, it is very large job and we are awaiting planning permission.

If you would like to discuss your bill or your contract, please reach us on 0845 454 1111 or 150 free from a Virgin phone.

Apologies again and pop me a message for any updates on this,

Madison
Help & Support Forum Team

Problem Solved?Fault with your service?We did warn you!

obidankenobi
Tuning in
Message 4 of 109
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for getting back to me , i at least can put my mind to some rest as i know its a fault on the line and not with my hardware Smiley Happy its a shame me and other customers in the area have to wait till the summer for a fix Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) madison_d
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 109
Flag for a moderator

Hi again Smiley Happy

That's my pleasure, I'm happy to help!

Absolutely it is, hopefully we will start to see improvements much sooner :/

Again, my apologies for the time scale for this and if you ever need any information or updates, you know where I am.

Talk to you soon,

Madison
Help & Support Forum Team

Problem Solved?Fault with your service?We did warn you!

0 Kudos
obidankenobi
Tuning in
Message 6 of 109
Flag for a moderator

hi ,

still having real trouble with the speed i havnt seen any improvements at all , is there any work being done ? also who can i contact about this issue i feel quite upset that im paying for a service i havnt been getting for the best part of 6 months

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 109
Flag for a moderator

Hi obidankenobi, 

Thanks for getting back in touch, I've had a look at fault ref F002311977 for utilisation. 

It looks as though they are hoping to get a CAT-C started before the end of October. This is an estimate and is subject to change. 

We should have more information about this after 05/11/2014 please give this thread a bump after this time and we'll be able to get an update for you. 

I'm sorry I don't have better news for you. 

Keep us posted. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
cazzer731017
Tuning in
Message 8 of 109
Flag for a moderator

I have this same problem with my VM Broadband. Have had for some time now and have just tolerated it. Speed fine all day upto 7 - 8 o clock but them slows down dramitacally. Only become more apparent lately because I have signed up to streaming services like Amazon Prime and NOW TV and these become un-watchable late in to the evening. Just constant buffering. Any other time, can watch no problem.

Searched the internet for same problem and come across this post.

I wonder / hope the resolution mentioned in last post will sort the problem out for me.

Ian

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 109
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ian,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the forums, although sorry to hear of your peak time slow speed problems.

I've run a few checks on your connection and reports indicate (as you may have already guessed) that your network segment is currently suffering from periods of high utilisation, particularly at peak times.

This has been raised to our network teams under reference F002804162. Work to resolve this issue is currently scheduled to be reviewed in November (although this may be subject to change).

Please check back in with us periodically and we will update you as soon as we have any further information.

Ralph_R
Forum Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
RishiK
Joining in
Message 10 of 109
Flag for a moderator

Has there been any resolution to this? We are on the 50 meg service and our broadband speeds drop every evening from around 8, to the point we can barely stream any content in SD. At first we thought it maybe a one off, however its been like this now for months. When checking our speed on Speed Checker we are generally getting results between 1.5-2.5 Mbps. As time progresses it seems to be getting worse. We are on the 50 meg service and its now got to the point where we use our neighbours WiFi who are on BT Infinity and seem to have no issues watching content in the evenings. Our area code is 21 (West London) ??

0 Kudos