Menu
greyman
Superfast
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

"Review Date"? Anyone have a definition?

Would anyone please be able to provide a definitive meaning for the phrase "review date"?

Believe it or believe it not, VM do not appear to be able, or willing, to provide a definition, at least not to me.

The reason I ask is to try to establish whether VM try to do any corrective work prior to the review date and then use the review date to check progress or whether the review date just marks the start of the process.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: "Review Date"? Anyone have a definition?

A date in which they review how far along they are for implementing a fix.

They will be seeing if they have permissions to do the work, all the necessary parts, engineer schedules and a bunch more stuff.

Basically don't confuse it with a fix date (which they won't give - the phone lot might but that's just the scripts, it's just a review date)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

A date in which they review how far along they are for implementing a fix.

They will be seeing if they have permissions to do the work, all the necessary parts, engineer schedules and a bunch more stuff.

Basically don't confuse it with a fix date (which they won't give - the phone lot might but that's just the scripts, it's just a review date)

logiclee
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

So we have unusable broadband every evening and it wont even be reviewed until Mid May? (Area 30)

Sorry that is not acceptable.

Seems the only option is to switch suppliers.

Lee

0 Kudos
greyman
Superfast
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for that.  

As you appear to know much more than VM, can you think of a reason why they would claim not to know what review date means?

considering how many times forum staff use the term, they are either using it without having a clue what it means or there is some reason that makes them reluctant to share.  For me, their lack of an answer on this is absolutely bizarre.

Thanks again

0 Kudos
JPL8
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Review date? It might have been the day they repainted our street cabinet from green to grey. I'm sure they didn't need planning permission for that. Unfortunately it didn't make any perceptible difference to our broadband speed. 😉

For all I can tell it might as well be the day VM engineers/managers get together over tea and biscuits for all the difference they seem to make. Review dates come and go. You get new review dates if you ask. You get a discount if you ask. It's basically up to you to do all the chasing and put all the pieces together.

And ... if you're very lucky a review date will pass and your broadband will be "fixed", though how is a mystery because despite all this talk of new cables, cabinets and planning permission there will be no noticeable changes in your street. I know because I once asked what "work" was done "fixing" the fault and VM wouldn't tell me because it was business sensitive. What I can say is that three months later the fault was back and has been ongoing since October 2015!

"Cable broadband is typically faster than copper-based services, but a significant minority of users experience severe slowdowns in peak times." — Ofcom, UK Home Broadband Performance, November 2016
0 Kudos
greyman
Superfast
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I've come to the conclusion that leaving would just make it easier for them to effectively rip off more customers.  I can accept that, at some point, the demands of their users might exceed the capacity of any part of their network, but what is unforgivable is the fact that they still continue to sign up new users, apparently without any warning of the very poor service that they are about to receive.  

Not only is this a breach of the code of practice, that VM have committed to, it appears to be sailing very close to, if not beyond, breaking British consumer protection laws.  I will be checking this latter one out and will then decide how to proceed in the light of that advice.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The forum team usually give a similar answer to customers when asked. The phone lot follow scripts, going off script doesn't usually end well.

Honestly if you are out of contract, leaving is the best option (heck lets you shop around for new customer deals too)

If you are locked into contract, look into the CISAS complaints process

0 Kudos
greyman
Superfast
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately, probably for VM as much as myself, BT-based services are the only alternative in my patch and so far they could only deliver an up to 38Mbps service.  It is quite interesting though, as I said above, VM still claims to be able to provide up to 200Mbps to my house.  Technically, I suppose that isn't totally inaccurate, but I'd love to hear someone try to justify that my typical single-figure download speeds, during peak times, could reasonably be advertised as up to 200Mbps or even the 50Mbps that I have been forced to drop to.

Otherwise, they might as well advertise as up to 1 or even 10Gbps

0 Kudos
fergiet
Superfast
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I would be delighted to always get 50mps at peak times. 200 most mornings then downhill all the way.  photo 08032017.png
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Honestly 38Mbs is more than enough for any tasks. Unless you are a heavy downloader or have short deadlines to download by, 38Mbs is more than plenty. Usually get better pings too with BT.

BT only offer me 1-3Mbs Smiley Sad

0 Kudos