Menu
chippycc
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

problems in Area 31??

As most of you know, I've been getting speeds of around 3-5 Mbps for a while now, and I've had a few hint and tips on how to achieve faster speeds, but they are sometimes impracticable i.e, I understand that it's best to use a wired connection to perform a speed test, but a majority of my devices use WiFi these days, it's not really practical to trail cables all over the house in order to get the "promised" speeds that VM crow about! 

I've tried WiFi extenders, and they slightly improve the speed, but I need at least 10Mbps in order to stream from my Google box and avoiding the buffering issues that I regularly get.

I've ruled out problems on my side, and with the devices I use, but whenever I try to run a test on the broadband status page, it hangs around the 75% mark, and I get:

"We're trying to sort it out for you

In about 10 minutes we should have finished, so take a break and then restart your equipment and check to see if all is well. If there's still a problem, please get in touch with us" 
and that never works....

test.pngSo..... is there a problem with my area, or is it as I suspect over subscribed and will never be sorted by VM??

Graham

Speed test run at 7.23am today

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: problems in Area 31??

If the problem is WiFi only, your postcode (NN10?) matters not unless in that zone, houses are crammed together and next door either side interferes with your wireless by being on the same channel.

If you have a Superhub 1 (VMDG480) it is simply not fit for any WiFi purpose. You'd want to blag a SH2ac (VMDDG490) off VM by threatening to leave or something.

Otherwise yo can spend some dosh on Powerline adaptors. A Master goes into the mains socket in the router room, connected wired to the router. A WiFi Powerline adapter goes into the next room to which you can also connect wired. The traffic is carried over the mains ring.

Does that look like a solution? It's what I do and if it is necessary for work, then do it.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos

All Replies
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Area 31 covers parts of Northampton, St Albans, Cambridge, Reading, Ipswich to mention a few. Each such town has its own hub site. So Area 31 isn't meaningful when raising a question.

So, where are you? In my hub area, Reading, RG12, RG42 are having over-utilisation problems; also parts of RG6 though we haven't heard from them lately.

There were problems in NN15, CB6 (IIRC)but they've gone quiet.

0 Kudos
chippycc
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I'm in Rushden, Northants. I've been experiencing slow speeds for months now, and I've ruled out my hardware. Wired speeds are very good, around 60=63 Mbps, but the issue has and always is WiFi. I can't move the router, as good old VM want to charge £90 to move it from one room to another! I live in a maisonette, so the router is literally in the next room! The speed is still slow even when the laptop is right next to the router. I use broadband for work purposes, as well as home, as I work from home, and need to be in touch for skype calls.

Using Skype with WiFi is a no-no at my home, so I have to connect the company laptop to the ethernet cable.

Graham

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If the problem is WiFi only, your postcode (NN10?) matters not unless in that zone, houses are crammed together and next door either side interferes with your wireless by being on the same channel.

If you have a Superhub 1 (VMDG480) it is simply not fit for any WiFi purpose. You'd want to blag a SH2ac (VMDDG490) off VM by threatening to leave or something.

Otherwise yo can spend some dosh on Powerline adaptors. A Master goes into the mains socket in the router room, connected wired to the router. A WiFi Powerline adapter goes into the next room to which you can also connect wired. The traffic is carried over the mains ring.

Does that look like a solution? It's what I do and if it is necessary for work, then do it.

0 Kudos
chippycc
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Yep, I've got a superhub 1 ( VMDG480 ) and it is indeed not fit for purpose.

I've decided to leave VM when I move to St Neots in May - I've had a great deal of hassle from VM, and their support staff are nothing than a joke, I think they've conned me out of a few quid in the 10 years I've been with them, so its time I left...

Graham

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I wouldn't get your hope up that any one else's technical support is any better.  The support from this forum is much better than BT's.  VM are present in St. Neots - though whether that be in your street to be I don't know.

0 Kudos
ntlworld_user
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

No, We are still here, NN15 ....still getting appauling speeds, tonight 200mbs looks like-

22.18mbs download .......

Just over 10% of what we are paying for, maybe NN10 is on the same hamster powered server?

I dont know about Vivid, its more like LIVID!

Virgin Mediocre, still underperforming for the 3rd year running,.

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi chippycc, 

Thanks for getting in touch, I'm sorry to see you have been having trouble with your speeds. 

Looking at your connection it seems to me there has been a change recently but I can't quite pin point where currently.

What I can say is that it seems to have reduced the issue with slow speeds in your area, so you should start to see an improvement there. However it has left your downstream power levels way too high, your modem SNR could use a tweak too. 

I'd like to get an engineer out to have this corrected for you. I'll pop you a PM to get this arranged. Look out for the Purple Envelope top right hand corner. 

Speak to you soon. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Ianm2585
Tuning in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Im in nn17 and the service here is appaling speeds up and down more frequentlydown and trying to get answers out of VM is a joke and now to rub salt in theyve upped the prices on there crap service . I think they just want people to leave so they can solve there over utilisation problem without doing anything as they have done until now by pushing review repair dates further down the line cant wait to get rid of the money grabbing********************************