Menu
donnyvr1
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

poor internet speed at prak times

I am in area ref 14. I have had very poor speeds on my 152mb broadband connection especially in the evening times of between 6pm and 11pm for over 4 months, I keep getting told that this due to upgrade and maintenance work but the completion date keeps getting postponed. The speeds are only 1-5mb with pings of up to 800ms. the speed is as advertised at other times so I know it is nothing to do with my in home connections.

is everyone in my area having this problem? is there an end in sight or should I be looking for an alternate provider after more than 10 years with virginmedia

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: poor internet speed at prak times

Everyone in your locality on VM will be having the same issues.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: poor internet speed at prak times

Hey there donnyvr1,

Thanks for posting and a warm welcome to the community Smiley Very Happy

Sorry to hear that you're being affected by a fault in your area, I know this is frustrating.

When I check fault: F004742956 I can see the current review date is the 1st March. When this date comes to pass we will know more about the progress of the fault.

This type of fault can take a while to be fully resolved as we often face delays from 3rd parties.

Please accept our apologies for this and let us know if you have any other questions.

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
donnyvr1
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: poor internet speed at peak times

Thank you for replying. I was beginning to think none of the staff even look at these posts. what exactly is this 'fault'. it has already been 4 months since it started and you are now saying a 'review' date is 1st of March! I am on the maximum tier of the broadband service and am getting less than a 10th of the advertised speed from about 6pm to 11pm. I am unable to watch netflix, bbc iplayer or amazon prime video. Am I and others affected entitled to compensation?

I am already exploring other internet providers and your answer strengthens the case to look elsewhere and may be get the internet watchdog involved

regards

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: poor internet speed at peak times

Hey donnyvr1,

Thanks for getting back to us, apologies again for the slow speeds you're experiencing.

Relating to F004742956, our engineers are currently planning to undertake some broadband upgrades to support an increased demand for our services in your area. The effect of the fault is that speeds will be lower than expected during peak times. Once the planned work is carried out you should notice speeds return to normal.

The review date is provided as the point when our engineers are able to provide a further update, and does not constitute a fix date. We'll know more around that time. I've passed the details across to a colleague who'll get back to you regarding credit options for the duration of the fault, they'll be in touch with you via PM.

I hope that helps, just bump this thread if you'd like to check for an update at any stage.

Kev

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos