Menu
ellie-joe
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

poor download speeds since downgrading to 50mb I have reported it and virgin say its fine

Hi I have 30mb broadboad and have had trouble watching iplayer and other streaming services since we down grade from 100mb when my stepson left home. Before we had 100mb we had 50mb for ages and even with stepson gaming noticed no real problem with internet speed. Now all we do is watch a bit of iplayer do a bit of surfing and we can't watch a programme without it buffering all the time. We checked the wired speed with various speed checkers and the best we get is around 5mb download speeds. Is this really all we are expected to get as it seems we are paying over the odds and should look to a cheaper provider if that's all we can expect from virgin

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: poor download speeds since downgrading to 50mb I have reported it and virgin say its fine

Are you seeing slow speeds all day or only at peak times (typically 4pm-11pm weekdays and weekends)? Some areas are suffering with over utilisation, which results in very slow speeds at peak times but full speed at off peak times.

If you go to http://192.168.0.1/ (or http://192.168.100.1/ if you are in modem mode) to get the VM hub GUI. Don't login but instead click on Router Status which is either a button in the top right of the screen or a text link at the bottom of the screen depending on which hub you have. Click on the Downstream, Upstream and Network Log sections and copy & paste the figures from those screens and post them here, don't worry about the formatting or you can post screenshots if that is easier. Be careful to edit out or obscure any reference to your WAN IP or MAC address in the log to protect your privacy.

The community can have a look for you and see if anything in the figures looks wrong and advise accordingly. Or you can wait for the VM staff to pick up this thread (can take 7-10 days) and run checks on your line.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

ellie-joe
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: poor download speeds since downgrading to 50mb I have reported it and virgin say its fine

Thanks I've already contacted tech support more than once. They said they would raise a ticket. Still no appreciable change and no further contact since 2/2/16. It looks like I will be changing provider when I can get out of this contract which is a shame since Ive been a customer since it was telewest.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Morning ellie-joe,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

My apologies that you are experiencing slow broadband speeds.

I've managed to locate your account and there is a high peak time traffic fault in your area which is causing slow speeds. The reference number is F003322891 and has a review date of 26th April.

Do you notice these speeds at all times of the day or just at peak hours?

Let us know how you get on
Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
ellie-joe
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

My main usage is peak times as like normal people I work in the day and sleep at night. All I am doing is trying to watch iplayer but with speeds of around 2mbs I really struggle to watch without buffering lots. I don't think this too much to ask even at peak times.
0 Kudos