Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 5 (135 Views)

pitifully slow download speed

For the past week or so I have been getting a pitifully slow download speed in the evening, e.g. 0.36Mbps.

The upload speed is actually a lot higher, e.g. 5.46Mbps.

I have a Super Hub 2. The Network Log is full of "Lost MDD timeout" messages. I have attached the Downstream, Upstream and Network logs.

The problem seems to have started around the same time that VirginMedia proudly announced that my broadband speed had been upgraded to 70Mbps.  I would at the moment be happy with a tenth of that speed!

Screen Shot 2017-09-08 at 21.25.32.jpgScreen Shot 2017-09-08 at 21.25.53.jpgScreen Shot 2017-09-08 at 21.26.29.jpg

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 2 of 5 (110 Views)

Re: pitifully slow download speed

Your lost MDDs are being caused by the low downstream power levels and low downstream SNR.

Your upstream power levels are maxxed out, in short the connection is borked.

You could try checking the coax cable from the back of the hub to the cable entry point for obvious signs of damage and all connectors are hand tight. If you have an attenuator screwed on to the back of the hub, remove it.

Otherwise, you will need to contact VM for resolution, either by waiting here about a week until a VM Forum Team Member picks up the thread, or give them a call on 150 from a VM line or 0345 454 1111 for a quicker response.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Message 3 of 5 (71 Views)

Hello nighthealer,

Thanks for joining us on the Community Smiley Very Happy

Sorry to see the problems with your connection. Let's arrange for an engineer to call around to get this resolved. I'll send you a PM (purple envelope, top right) with the appointment info.

Catch you soon,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Message 4 of 5 (37 Views)

Hello nighthealer,

Hope all is good with you Smiley Happy

I just wanted to pop by and see how you're getting on after the engineer visit.

Let me know if I can help with anything else.

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 5 of 5 (24 Views)

Hello Heather,

Funnily enough, my broadband download speed started to improve a couple of days before the engineer visited. But when he came, he said he will still getting low power levels on my line, so he went to the cable box on the street and re-plugged me in (I think).  Anyway it all seems good now, I am getting 76Mbps download speed instead of barely 1Mbps so thank you for organising the engineer visit.

Best wishes

John Williams

0 Kudos