Menu
sharp66
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

ping rate high all times of day

Interested on why Ping rates so high in the SN25 area. Online gaming esp COD etc , almost impossible due to Ping 160 ms in the evening , varies during the day from a very good 30ms to 100 ms depending when I run the test.

If you are a gamer there is nothing more frustrating, and I am considering changing supplier , as I talk online to other gamers , and its mainly the virgin customers who appear to have the issue.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: ping rate high all times of day

Hello sharp66,

Thanks for posting and a big welcome to the community Smiley Very Happy

Sorry to hear about your ping issues, I know how frustrating this can be. I've taken a look at your connection but I can't seem to find any errors right now. It might be helpful if you set up a TBB monitor so we can take a closer look into the performance of your connection.

Hope to hear back from you soon,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

All Replies
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hello sharp66,

Thanks for posting and a big welcome to the community Smiley Very Happy

Sorry to hear about your ping issues, I know how frustrating this can be. I've taken a look at your connection but I can't seem to find any errors right now. It might be helpful if you set up a TBB monitor so we can take a closer look into the performance of your connection.

Hope to hear back from you soon,

Take care.

Heather_J

sharp66
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Heather, you can follow http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/b65742eba0e0472a7b65cdd412555553.html , live , have had problems all weekend gaming, looking at the timing , gaming does not seem to affect the ping rates, it is pretty bad all the time, ....

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello sharp66

Thanks for getting back, that graph looks fairly normal for a hub3. As Heather said the area traffic is quite low although the odd peak in the evening that may impact lag. Do traceroutes to the other players reveal anything interesting I wonder.

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
sharp66
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Nicola, we have 3 online gamers in the house, and we ran a little test today, so a nice stable connection we game ran a  with 1 console online and had no issues, glitchy and juddery with 2 of us in the same game....when all 3 of us in the same game , we can actually stall the connection , and get the connection interrupted message on screen.

I have had BT and Talk Talk connections to this address in the past , without any of these types of issue, I moved to Virgin Media as it was sold to me as better and faster, which under test conditions , I cannot dispute, however it appears Virgin is less suitable for gaming.

I am not happy now , its clearly a limitation somewhere in the service/router...unless this can be improved I will need to look at alternative supply.

0 Kudos
sharp66
Tuning in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

135 ms pings , connecting to a VM server less than 30 miles away.....

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/6126418619

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hey sharp66,

Thanks for providing the additional info requested Smiley Happy

I know this might be a pain, but would you be able to test the performance with your Hub in Modem Mode to see if the same issues crop up, I know this isn't a fix it's just for our diagnostics.

Catch up with you soon,

Take care.

Heather_J

0 Kudos
timbat
Tuning in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

normal ping ? hell no, that would be normal if he was connecting to Australia

sharp66
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Heather, I ran modem mode for a while this morning , http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/690f568152f5496fab9c638c075707b2-16-03-2017.html, from about 9am( first small red line on graph) , to 11.45 , to the broad red line where I had to restore my router .Absolutely no difference at all .

Out of interest I had a friend run TBB on his sky fibre , and it looks nothing like the VM connection...solid blue line at 20ms , with 2 or 3 times a day spiking at 60ms for less than a minute. A tech friend tells me that this is due to the amount of people on line , and that VM are over capacity , I think VM need to take this a little more seriously , offering a 200mb gaming connection is not the answer if you are capped out. For me download speed isn't the priority , a fast (ping) stable connection is , I would sacrifice download speed for faster ping , and stability as that is more suited to gaming.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi there sharp66,

Thanks for getting back to us.

With the devices that you use for gaming, whether that is through Xbox, PS4, PC, are they connected via wired or wireless?

Are you able to post some ping tests and trace routes for us to check over please?

As mentioned by my colleagues Heather and Nicola, we are unable to see any issues in regards to high traffic that would cause an impact on your connection.

Speak soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos