Menu
spowerg
Tuning in
Message 1 of 27
Flag for a moderator

patchy connectivity over the last month in BD10, power levels a bit out of spec

Hi,

I've been having connectivity problems over the last month or so. I lose Internet access and can't even reach 192.168.100.1 locally. Restarting the modem doesn't usually help. If I add in a 6db forward path attenuator and restart, it comes back and works for a day usually. After which, same problem but removing the attenuator brings it back.

It flip flops back and forth like this every few days, sometimes more or less often.

Plus, from what I understand, my downstream power levels are a bit high right now too (not always) and I regularly see RS errors:

20170202-61g1a7l3iysxw0xag94tbbxsxl8vdi6gy03m87yyo3rz74toiv.png

Any help appreciated! Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
spowerg
Tuning in
Message 2 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Re: patchy connectivity over the last month in BD10, power levels a bit out of spec

Since I posted last week I've not actually had a drop out, but RS errors do seem high.

vm-errors-20170208.pngvm-status-up-20170208.png

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Re: patchy connectivity over the last month in BD10, power levels a bit out of spec

Hi spowerg

Thanks for posting and I'm sorry to hear of the intermittent connection you have been experiencing. We'll certainly look into this for you and thanks for the update you've provided. It's good to hear you've not had a drop out recently.

The downstream power levels are on the higher end of the scale but they look healthy when checking from this end now. I also can't see any timeouts recently which is great.  If you experience any more disconnections can your post a copy of the hub's network log?  Can you also  reset the RS counters and let me know if they continue to climb.

Kind regards,

Ty

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
spowerg
Tuning in
Message 4 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ty.

thanks for the reply - I don't think I've seen a drop out since my last update a week ago now (typical eh!)

I've reset the RS counters and will keep an eye on them and report back.

Thanks,

Spowerg.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Hello Spowerg,

Thanks for the update Smiley Happy

How are you getting on since your last post?

Is there anything else you'd like us to test or check?

Catch up with you soon,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
spowerg
Tuning in
Message 6 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Hi Heather,

thanks for checking in. I've had no outages that I can recall, basically no upstream timeouts, but rather a large number of Pre-RS and post-RS errors (or more accurately, negative numbers for the error counters! I'm presuming they wrapped around!).

Screenshot from 2017-02-27 09-54-44.png

But as I say, I can't really say I'm noticing any problems but I'm concerned about ignoring warning signs now and then having bigger problems later. How does this look to you?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
spowerg
Tuning in
Message 7 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Spoke too soon. Lost connection today, couldn't ping 192.168.100.1. Rebooted modem and it came back. Downstream power levels almost all at 10, already getting pre and post-rs errors, within minutes of rebooting.

Screenshot from 2017-02-27 21-11-28.png

0 Kudos
spowerg
Tuning in
Message 8 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Had a bad day today, lots of packet loss and several outages. In one case, I could still see the modem stats at the time of the outage. The downstream power levels were down to mostly between 5 and 7 (from 9 and 10 yesterday). The pre-rs errors suddenly skyrocketed from around 1000 to around 14,000, and then suddenly up to 50,000. Then they all reset and also the power levels jumped back up to around 9 and internet recovered.

Screenshot from 2017-02-28 18-42-27.png

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Hi spowerg,

I'm really sorry about your poor connection. Though we do at least have an explanation. Fault ref: F005143295 has been raised due to the low SNR and high amount of FEC's affecting the upstream network segment to which your Hub connects.

This was only raised today, but checking historical data I see these faults have been evident since the 16th of last month. This would explain why your power levels are/have been prone to change. 
We're currently waiting for the assigned Network technician to investigate and report back, so I'll check tomorrow and Thursday (I'm off Wednesday) for updates and shall let you know what's happening. I've also noted details about this on your account for you.

Bye for now,

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
spowerg
Tuning in
Message 10 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jen,

thanks for getting back to me with some details - good to see it's a recognised fault and is being investigated. It's been a bit better for a couple of days, but still a huge number of pre and post RS errors, and currently power levels hovering around -0.50 !

Awaiting further updates.

Thanks,

0 Kudos