Menu
MattyGahan88
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

not getting close to 200mb

I'm a new customer with virgin. The day I joined I did a speed test and got roughly 185-198 mbps.  However since then I'm lucky if I get 25mbps. I'm supposed to get upto 200mbps but I'm not even getting close to this

0 Kudos
rescon
Tuning in
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: not getting close to 200mb

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi MattyGahan88

Welcome to the community.

Sorry to hear that your experiencing slow broadband speeds.

When I checked your connection, there is a local high peak time fault in your area that is causing slow speeds. Our networks team are investigating the problem and are improving bandwidth and performance to help with this issue. The reference number is F003525733 and with a review date of 18th November.

As this issue is during peak hours, do you notice the speed drop outside these hours? If so are you able to complete a speed test through a wired connection and whilst the router is in modem mode to see if the speeds differ please.

Let me know how you get on

Sam 

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Over utilisation. Look around and see what other options you can get from other providers and get out while you are in the cooling off period.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

rescon
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

• Welcome to the slow club (Region 03) for me should be at 200Mbps but Virgin have capacity issues:

thinkbroadband  UK Broadband Speed Test - Mozilla Firefox_2015-11-03_20-24-38.jpg

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Well if you have 400Mb from 8 channels and you have say 100 modems sharing that bandwidth group of channels even if half are downloading thats 8Mb but then not all are downloading at the same time so at best of only 2 are downloading then you will hit 200Mb and so you don't know when the bandwidth will be available to hit 200Mb if at all if enough people are online which is why its upto.

0 Kudos
rescon
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Lot of excuses from Virgin with capacity being the main culprit and lots of promises of a fix some time in the future, but you unfortunately  only discover this once you have signed up & paid your money.

Do they fix any capacity issues?

Thankfully they do have the 14 cooling off period to cut loose, get a full refund a find (if you have a choice) a decent ISP.  

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi rescon,

Thanks for taking the time to post.

I've replied to your thread here.

To avoid confusion please respond to me on that one.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos
No1beyondfan
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Help, i just got home to find my dad had let the virgin engineer in to set the router up. 

It was 4mb download, i reset it and now its 15mb. I am meant to get 200mb?

Advice?

Jen

0 Kudos