Menu
jonnypne
Tuning in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

internet speed nowhere near what it should be

i have the vivid 200 internet and it states that my speed boost is complete, i have run a couple of speed test on the site advised by virgin which is speedtest.net and the download speed is so far from where it should be here is my test results: http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5806478164   

any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated i cant even stream a football match without it buffering which i could before with sky broadband

thanks

0 Kudos
jonnypne
Tuning in
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

shocking internet speeds speedtest.net reults and router logs included

i did a speed test on speedtest.net and these are my results and i have the vivid200 http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5806599214

i cant stream a tv show without buffering etc my router status logs are below

downstream.PNGupstream.PNG

any help would be greatly appreciated

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: shocking internet speeds speedtest.net reults and router logs included

Please don't create multiple threads for the same issue, it just clutters up the forum and won't get your issue resolved any quicker.  I have merged your two speed threads.

Are you using a wired Ethernet connection to the VM hub or a wireless connection? Wireless is easily disrupted by a number of external factors, so a wired test is the best way to get a true picture of what speed your line is able to achieve. It also helps to pinpoint if the issue is with the wireless or your line.

Are you seeing slow speeds all day or only at peak times (typically 4pm-11pm weekdays and weekends)? Some areas are suffering with over utilisation, which results in very slow speeds at peak times but full speed at off peak times.  The two test you have linked to are peak time tests, it would be interesting to see an off peak test.

The downstream power levels you have posted are very close to the recommended minimum of -6 so that could be the reason for the slow speeds, especially if they were to fluctuate even lower.  If wired off peak speed test are slow then you will probably need to arrange an engineer visit to get the power levels adjusted.  You can call VM and try to book a visit or wait for the VM staff to get to this thread and they can help you book a visit.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

0 Kudos