Menu
anTTony
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

confused!

So I have just upped my package to 200mb and its got worse than when I had the 100! I called a few days ago to be told the router is taking too long to reset so they are sending an engineer out this Friday. I called yesterday as speeds were going to 20 odd mb.. he 'changed some settings' and it went to 210mb. Got up this morning and down to 28. By mid day it was up to 70, then 1pm it was 215mb. At 6.50pm it was 107 then by 8.20 it was 36mb. Ever since 8.45pm it has been at 0.85mb!!!

I call again.. he asks me to disconnect everything from my router as it may be something connected to it?! I do that and get... 0.85mb.

He then reads my notes and proceeds to tell me ive downloaded 987Gb in the last billing period and an 'average' user only uses 672... therefore I have been throttled...

Is this right? surely they cant throttle me down to 0.85mb?! It's in-useable!

It seems weird how previous calls never mentioned anything to do with usage, and booked me an engineer as speed and pings were up and down like a yo-yo... yet this latest bloke states I'm being throttled?!!! I smell a rat!

time for a new BB provider I think...
0 Kudos
SiKi
Up to speed
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: confused!

Its not just you, the first tier support will tell you anything as an excuse for poor speeds other than their network is at fault.

But then again their 2nd tier will just advise you to leave if you dont like the service..lol

I have come to the conclusion they are incapable of fixing anything more than replacing an f connector..

anTTony
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I thought as much.. I've just done a test now and its 51.24mb?! Useable now but still rubbish if I'm supposed to get 200!

0 Kudos
SiKi
Up to speed
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Setup a BQM (Broadband Quality Monitor) at -

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/monitors.html (there is others out there too)

accept icmp in your router and leave it for a week or so..

although its not going to show speed it will show you the times of the day your connection is going bad.

hopefully you are not in an overloaded (oversold) area...

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Are you testing wired or wirelessly? The only setting they can change on the router are your wireless ones (change the channel / max link speed) which you can do yourself if you log in to the router. If you were on wireless and you got changed to a clearer wireless channel that would help explain.

As to downloading too much, that is rubbish. They have no download limits anymore, and they don't throttle downloads. Phone staff from offshore are terrible script readers and not worth the time of day to talk to.

On the other side of potential, it 'could' be over utilization, where there are too many users signed up in the area. This tends to cause slowdown between peak times, 3-11pm (roughly), but a member of the forum team will confirm if that's the case when they get to the thread. Sadly it's currently almost around a 2 week response time from the forum team.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
anTTony
Joining in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks.... all equipment is wired on cat6 & 7 cabling.

its currently sat at 50mb

0 Kudos