Menu
wahee
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 20
Flag for a moderator

broadband disaster

pretty incandescent 

I had 200mb plus speed but occasional wifi dropouts, so called VM support and after navigating the convoluted telephone system, the chap said he would send new settings to the modem and also noted that the power level were low. So he booked an engineer.

Engineer did 'something' and said issue was sorted with wifi and levels were balanced.

Now I have 2MB! 

After an hour and a half on with various agents in India, I am still no further on.

I had to use my mobile so I am probably out a pile of money

WHY DON'T ENGINEERS ACTUALLY check the flippin speeds BEFORE they leave the customers property

Area 26

Can any one on the forum help out. Apologies for the turse post but I have literally spent hours on the phone and support will not just send the engineer out again

0 Kudos
nidstigator
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Re: broadband disaster

FINALLY SOMEONE FROM AREA 26 with the same issue. Looks like moderators take 2-3 weeks to respond on issues on this forum. In the meantime, here is my story:

We subscribed to Virginmedia in September 2016. Got the 200Mbps package. Apart from the Hub3 latency spike issues (eventually got it replaced with a Superhub2), all was okay. I was getting 200mbps in the day time and it drops somewhere to 140-160mbps during the evening.

Since the beginning of February, after 8pm, we noticed the movies on netflix would get super pixelated and eventually stop to buffer on our home Xbox. I checked the speeds and it was 2-4mbps.

It has been exactly the same every day since then- 200-213mbps during the day and 2-4mbps at night. (wired, to superhub2ac in modem mode)

So two nights ago, I called technical support. The offshore representative said that he cannot see any issue with my area, then put me on hold, came back with a fault number saying there is an SNR issue that will clear up on the 9th of Feb.

Next morning, I called again. This time customer relations. Talked to the guy, he checked the fault number and he said it is not related to my area. Transferred me to 2nd line technical support. The 2nd line support guy said I need to call back while the issue is happening so that they can know what's going on, and that he cannot see any issues in my area.

I called back in the evening. Requested second line support. The guy who picked up this time said nothing he can see in the area (again) and that he'll raise a ticket for my line anyway, and they shall call me back the next day.

Waited the next day, nobody called back. Called customer relations, the guy mentioned my ticket has been closed.

I was then transferred to 2nd line support. Again. Luckily it was the same guy I spoke with last- he mentioned some 'network upgrades needed', and that it will finish by 31st of March and that is why my ticket was closed. I asked him nicely to write these things down on my account so that I could talk to a customer relations rep about this. Also asked for a fault number, he cited one that is not the usual ones I see on virginmedia forums (doesn't start with F00, Npr8581).

In the end, I was transferred to customer relations again. I explain to the guy that the technical support rep said the upgrades in my area will be carried out by 31st of March and that this is on my account notes, and I would like to leave my contract without a penalty since this is a long time. He claims that in the notes it says March with no specific date, so he can't really do anything and that I'd have to wait 1 month to give them time to fix it.

BBQM from yesterday for reference, notice how the packet loss occurs post 8pm and increases as night goes on:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/1939b392e10f312d80297c7687cc585f-09-02-2017.html

Speedtest, wired, Macbook Pro mid-2015 using official apple thunderbolt to ethernet adapter. (1gbps) connected to Superhub2ac in modem mode:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/1486679327544163255.png

Power and SNR levels:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ktjhdate984nrol/Screen%20Shot%202017-02-10%20at%2011.34.00.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dfuzv9i771bb5mq/Screen%20Shot%202017-02-10%20at%2011.34.08.png?dl=0

wahee
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 20
Flag for a moderator

yep there is definitely

something

amiss.

my news 200mb speed!!my news 200mb speed!!

0 Kudos
punkrock101
Dialled in
Message 4 of 20
Flag for a moderator

I'm in area 26 as well connected to the Glengormley UBR to be precise.   very slow broadband in the evenings I was told the same information by Virgin Media it should be fixed by the 31st March.   I hope it is or i'm off to BT Infinity as i cannot put with this much longer.

0 Kudos
wahee
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 20
Flag for a moderator

thing is my speed was ok until the engineer 'rebalanced' the power levels. Can someone from VM explain why this actually means

My speed is now at dialup levels nearly. 8k per second YEA!

for £60 a month

Hub 3 speedHub 3 speed

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi wahee, 

Thanks for letting us know that you're still having slow speeds even after an engineer has re-balanced your power levels. I apologise for any inconvenience caused.

I have tried to test your connection from here, however I was unable to locate any of your details via your forum account. In order to proceed with diagnostics I will require some information from you.

I will send you a PM (purple envelope at the top) detailing what's required in order to proceed with diagnostics, please respond to me there and I'll get this sorted for you.

Take care, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
wahee
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 20
Flag for a moderator

hi PM sent

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 8 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi wahee, 

Thanks for replying to me.

I have run some checks from here and I can see that your area cable seems to be suffering some load issues, especially during the peak hours. We're currently planning to undertake some upgrades to parts of our external network in your area in order to combat this.

The upgrades will be to improve bandwidth and performance during the peak hours, the reference number for this is F003519417 and is currently scheduled to be reviewed around the beginning of April.

Thanks for your patience with regards to this matter, I will need to pass this on to another team for you but I will need to clear a few security questions with you first as our process for doing so demands. I will send you a PM (purple envelope at the top) detailing what's required in order to proceed with this. Please respond to me there and I'll get this sorted for you.

Take care, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

0 Kudos
wahee
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 20
Flag for a moderator

nothing has been done about this by VM 

£60 a month for 2mb/s pathetic. I am cancelling my DD after over ten years as a customer

Forum Team (Retired)
Message 10 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi wahee,

I have passed this on for you, one of my colleagues will be along with some more information for you.

Take care, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

0 Kudos