Menu
rakatan
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

area 21 slow broadband speed

My account's homepage shows "Your connection speed is now up to 50Mbps."

However, I've never seen it above 3Mbps - currently it's ranging from 1.4 - 2.8Mbps.

I've called the support multiple times in the past and always received the reply that it is going to be fixed in a few weeks.. To the point that I'm losing my trust in Virgin Media...

On the other posts here I saw "slow speed" was reported at 20Mbps, so I suspect such speeds are not normal.

Please advice?

0 Kudos
rakatan
Tuning in
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: area 21 slow broadband speed

speedtest.net results:

Screen Shot 2017-03-31 at 21.33.14.png  

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi rakatan,

Welcome to the Community!

Really sorry to hear you're experiencing speed issues.

I've located your account and I can see an issue with the network in your area affecting speeds at peak times - Ref.(F003733181). Our technicians are working to get this resolved and have set a review date of 28th June 2017.

I'm really sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.

All the best

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
rakatan
Tuning in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Josh,

I was told a very similar story last year, just with the date of 20 December - have the fixes applied then not worked?

Also, could you explain what do you mean by the review date? is it going to be fixed until then or looked at (as in "reviewed") at the date?

And finally, are you sure you mean end of June? it's quite far away.. If so, is there any chance to review it sooner?

Thanks

0 Kudos
JPL8
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

A "review" is exactly that. Apparently the engineers get together and evaluate the work that's been carried out to assess whether further improvements are needed ... or something like that. In practice it occasionally results in a "fix" — the last one in my area lasted three months before going faulty again — but mostly it results in absolutely nothing getting done. For example, the fault affecting me began in October 2015, was last "reviewed" in March 2017 and won't be "reviewed" until December 2017 by which time I hope that BT will have installed more fibre capacity in my area and I'll be long gone.

"Cable broadband is typically faster than copper-based services, but a significant minority of users experience severe slowdowns in peak times." — Ofcom, UK Home Broadband Performance, November 2016
KKita
Joining in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I am based in Area 21 and have the same issue for last 5 months minimum. 

Broadband is super slow and download speed is less than10mb often and peak time (evening/weekend) is less than 5mb, which is not useable. 

I have signed up for 50mb max, while I understand this is 'max' speed and not guaranteed. But having constant low speed less than 10 for 90% percent of time which is connected is unacceptable.  I cannot do any streaming (spotify/Sonos connection) is dreadful, just cannot even watch 10 min youtube without downloading up-front.

I changed a signal channel and rebooted a rooter, tried everything which was suggested to improve the speed, this doesn't change the situation.

0 Kudos