Menu
briankeyse
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

area 11 broadband speeds

Is anyone in Currie Edinburgh having problems with their broadband speed dropping around 7,00 pm to 11.30 pm. I have just joined virgin on an 18 month contract and cannot believe the speeds are so low . At times i cannot stream low res video .When phoning customer service i was informed that the problem would not be fixed till mid March.The broadband at peak times is not fit for purpose

Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: area 11 broadband speeds

Hi briankeyse,

Welcome to the community, though the the less than headline speeds are disappointing news.

I've checked your connection and as you mention the slow speeds are down to peak time congestion problems, this is being investigated by networks on ref. F003320079 with plans to upgrade the network and add capacity currently estimated for around April/May.

If you continue to bump us here periodically we'll gladly check for any news or developments.

Apologies again.

Ralph_R
Forum Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
DaveJ888
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ralph_R, I'm not certain if this is the way this forum works but I've just spent an hour or so talking to the VM Broadband team as my internet speed has dropped from an acceptable 50-70Mb/s (contracted 150Mb/s) to '5Mb/s' this evening but also noticed the TV Tivo box has stared to show the rotating ring when making selections, for most of today... The VM team were very attentive however it boiled down to a reported network issue with a forecast repair date of 'no later than mid May'!!!! now our speed was perfect so a fault must have occurred so why would the forecast for repair be a month and a half? I feel I've entered the twilight zone. Can you plse shed any light into this issue?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi DaveJ888,

Thanks for coming back to us. Really sorry your speed dropped even further and also the TiVo® service is playing up. I'll clear things up for you.

It depends what you were doing on the TiVo® at the time the rotating ring occurred. If you were using the interactive service then it's possible the issue relates to F003320079 but if it was on the channels or navigating through menus then it's something different.

I've located your account to check the signal for 8/03 and I can see there was a dip in SNR (signal to noise ratio) for the upstream channel you're connect to. This causes errors on the segment meaning a drop in speed, disconnections or just laggy effects etc.

It shows the errors improved after 18:00 on 8/03 so that's a good start. How are things since you last posted? If ongoing, could you clarify where you see the rotating ring?

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos
Wul100
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi there - I am also in Currie and suffering the un-usable speeds issue.  Cust Services told me there were no known issues and they could not see any problems yet I am aware of at least 2 posts identifying upgrade job codes and other users getting hub upgrades to alleviate the issues if temporarily.  Cannot seem to get through to the remote cust services people at the time it is happening!!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi there Wul100,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting.

Sorry to read you are having issues with your broadband speeds.

Looking at your connection, the upstream power levels are too high at + 55 dBmV and the Modem SNR (signal to noise ratio) is too low at 30 dB. As this can have an impact on your connection, I would like to arrange an engineer appointment to check this for you. I've sent you a PM (purple envelope icon, right corner) with some details for you to confirm please.

Hope to hear from you soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos