Menu
rhirons
Superfast
Message 1 of 94
Flag for a moderator

Youtube buffering saga. Again.

YouTube performance on Virgin has been terrible for the past several weeks. It takes forever to start a video and it often stops to buffer several times. I'm getting flashbacks to the constant problems VM had a few years ago.

I get 200Mb down on regular downloads like steam/speedtests. Other streaming services like netflix/nowtv work just fine. 

Multiple devices tried.

Wired and wireless tried.

Soon as I switch to either 4G or my BT fibre line the video plays instantly and fully buffers using the same devices.

Can someone from the VM team raise this please? I've posted about it already but seems to be falling on deaf ears.

JakeBloomfield
Joining in
Message 2 of 94
Flag for a moderator

Re: Youtube buffering saga. Again.

I have the exact same issue! Has been happening for a week or so now. Happens on all devices in the house, including my wired desktop.

Tried changing DNS servers etc t no avail.
0 Kudos
rhirons
Superfast
Message 3 of 94
Flag for a moderator

Yup same here! It's 100% a Virgin issue. I don't get the problem when my PC/Laptop are switched over to my BT fibre wifi connection.

I also disabled wifi on my phone and used 4G instead. Works fine.

Another interesting thing.....Like last time VM had issues with YouTube, it's fixed when routing through a VPN service. I've got my PC wired direct to the superhub. Soon as I switch on my VPN service it works perfectly.

Hopefully someone from VM will pick this up.

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 94
Flag for a moderator

Hi rhirons

Thanks for taking the time to post on the community.

Sorry to read that you are experiencing buffering on YouTube.

I've taken a look at your connection and there are no faults reported in regards to this issue. 

If you are still having this issue are you able to complete ping tests and trace routes for us please for us to take a look? Do you get the same issue if the Super Hub is modem mode?

Hope to hear from you soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
matt-h
Dialled in
Message 5 of 94
Flag for a moderator

There's plenty of threads on this and it's still ongoing so it's pretty darn frustrating. I've had this for a few weeks and it seems to be getting ignored. Like last time.

My connection is otherwise fine. Issue is on all wired or wireless devices and goes away when I use them on a non VM connection.

The cache servers are up the wall again.
risc19
Joining in
Message 6 of 94
Flag for a moderator

I have exactly the same issue. I have been on the phone to virgin and they said they can't find the fault.

I have an engineer coming out Friday, but I'm not holding much hope.

Speed of connection is perfect, no high ping, no packet loss. I just cant get my streaming media to work correctly.

0 Kudos
SBDJ
Joining in
Message 7 of 94
Flag for a moderator

Same here, trying to watch some youtube clips with my son and they are buffering like crazy.

Then I switch to a youtube proxy site and all is fine.

Suggests some kind of caching/throttling issue by VM.

0 Kudos
cje85
Knows their stuff
Message 8 of 94
Flag for a moderator

I was watching YouTube on a Sony TV yesterday (connected via Ethernet) and it was frequently buffering and dropping to 480p. Just to rule out a problem at this end I tried a HD movie on Netflix and that was fine, full 1080 quality and no buffering.

These YouTube problems are quite regular on VM, they seem to happen a couple of times per year but rarely get acknowledged. 

0 Kudos
matt-h
Dialled in
Message 9 of 94
Flag for a moderator

Just like last time the issue with the VM caching of YouTube is being ignored by the company.

As soon as I go to my folks or try a friends / neighbours connection. It's all fine.

Sort it out VM please.
0 Kudos
Guybrush85
Fibre optic
Message 10 of 94
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately you seem to end up in a black hole with issues like this. The lower downs just say your connection is fine, despite it being an issue in one site, it needs to get to the networking team (or something like this), but getting there is where it seems to be tricky. 

So with that in mind, if you're reading this and having the same issue (which I am), please post so that we can get some traction behind this, it's the only thing we can do!

--------------------------------------------------------
Look behind you, a three-headed monkey