Menu
apercrumbie
Joining in
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

You've guessed it - low speeds Area 21

Over the past few weeks, our internet speeds in the evenings have just been abysmal - I'm talking 1-2MB when we pay for 50. While I don't expect 50MB at peak times, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect 20, although anything that I could actually stream on would be a godsend right now. I don't care how fast the speed is during the day - I'm at work!

Any suggestions/known problems? I will have to switch fairly quickly if there is no resolution.

0 Kudos
And-uk
Tuning in
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: You've guessed it - low speeds Area 21

Same-paying for 200 getting 2. Has been this slow regularly for weeks. Supposedly oversubscribed with a fix date the moves quarter on quarter. Never happens. Have to phone up every month for a discount, but even that is not sufficient compensation for this disruption.
0 Kudos
kyle_n
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

If this is area 21 in SW London then don't hold your breath. The overutilistion was officially recognized by Virgin Media in January 2015, and was a problem for at least 6 months before Virgin media accepted there was a problem. That is to say this has been an issue for almost 3 years.

Virgin will issue a arbitrary review date, which literally means nothing. It is not a estimated completion date, It is a date plucked out of thin air to string customers along for a hopeful fix - which never happens.

The latest date is sometime in June, which will inevitably be pushed back another three months.

Please show some patience though. I don't think we should expect a service provider to be able to fix a problem in just three years. I am hopeful that there should be a fix sometime this decade though.

0 Kudos
And-uk
Tuning in
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Area 21 must have thousands of customers. I'm sure there must be some lawyers on here-is what Virgin Media are doing (over charging, underdelivering and selling to more customers in an already over utilised areas) legal? Does Ofcom have any regulations around this?
0 Kudos
kyle_n
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Sorry guys, it turns out there isn't a massive overutilisation problem in the area. Apparently I have downloaded 120 GB last month which is above their supposed average of 60 GB so there isn't a problem after all.

0 Kudos
apercrumbie
Joining in
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the responses so far - that's interesting about downloading too much. I would be surprised if that's the case with us but I suppose it's possible. Do Virgin Media people look at these forums and respond? I clearly need to talk to someone about the problem but as I work long hours, it's not always easy to find the time.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi apercrumbie,

Honest apologies for your slow peak time speeds. There is an issue with your CMTS not managing the peak time load and I have just escalated this to Networks for their attention.

What will happen is that a network upgrade will be planned. The pre-upgrade work will begin and this work will be reviewed for progress - if the work is not complete then a new review date will be given. 

Only when that work is finalised will an EFT for the actual upgrade be provided.

Really sorry about this, but I have noted this on your account should you happen to call in and discuss it.

Feel free to request updates on here.

All the best, 

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
apercrumbie
Joining in
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Jen thank you for replying. Can you give me a timeline as to when this upgrade is expected to happen?

0 Kudos
ethereal
Tuning in
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Same situation in SE5, Camberwell - Area 21. 150Mbps in the mornings then drops throughout the day ending up at 1-2Mbps in the evenings. Can't even stream standard definition content.

I waited over a year for Virgin to sort out a similar issue at my last address (which they eventually did), but have just moved and took Virgin with me and now wish I hadn't - It seems to be a post code crap shoot and I'm not prepared to put up with that again. I'm still within my 14 days though so going to cancel ASAP and move to Zen Fibre. May not be as fast but at least it'll be usable at peak times.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for responding apercrumbie,

I've had a look into this and this has since been raised under the ticket reference F004387377, with a review set for 28/06/2017.

I'm very sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Let us know if we can help with anything more,

Nat_J 

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos