Menu
BamBam47
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Woeful Internet Performance :(

Had problems just before Christmas with Internet disconnecting ever 30-45 mins,especially when gaming or doing something reasonably internet heavy (youtube), or so it appeared.

Also the TV had been REALLY bad navigating through menus, and required continual turning on and off at the wall to reboot it.

Booked an engineer and lo and behold, within a couple of days everything was fine. So when we received the text we said don't turn up. Everything seemed fine over christmas period but then January comes and it starts again.

The disconnections have stopped (mostly, sometimes when the TV is turned on for the 1st time it cuts the internet) but the speed of the internet is now anything between 20mb and 40mb, when its usually around 160mb..................making watching anything in decent quality hit and miss on the internet.

Service Status always saying things are fine. Online chat is never avilable, thought I would give this board a try..........

Can anyone help before I end up switching supplier Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Woeful Internet Performance :(

Are you using a wired Ethernet connection to the VM hub or a wireless connection? Wireless is easily disrupted by a number of external factors, so a wired test is the best way to get a true picture of what speed your line is able to achieve. It also helps to pinpoint if the issue is with the wireless or your line.

Are you seeing slow speeds all day or only at peak times (typically 4pm-11pm weekdays and weekends)? Some areas are suffering with over utilisation, which results in very slow speeds at peak times but full speed at off peak times.

If wired off peak speeds are slow then some hub stats might help.  Go to http://192.168.0.1/ (or http://192.168.100.1/ if you are in modem mode) to get the VM hub GUI. Don't login but instead click on Router Status which is either a button in the top right of the screen or a text link at the bottom of the screen depending on which hub you have. Click on the Downstream, Upstream and Network Log sections and copy & paste the figures from those screens and post them here, don't worry about the formatting or you can post screenshots if that is easier. Be careful to edit out or obscure any reference to your WAN IP or MAC address in the log to protect your privacy.

The community can have a look for you and see if anything in the figures looks wrong and advise accordingly. Or you can wait for the VM staff to pick up this thread (can take 7-10 days) and run checks on your line.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

0 Kudos
BamBam47
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks for your reply.

Im using a wired connection to my router. I'll be honest over utilisation is virgins problem to fix, not mine to endure Smiley Happy
Speeds have been fine at ANY period previously, and fine all over Christmas, but have started again post Christmas.

Here are my logs from the router.
downstream.JPGupstream.JPGnetwork.JPG

I have just turned the router off and plugged it back in which will be the top lot of stuff.

Again many thanks Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
BamBam47
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Well the restart seems to have done something for now. So unless there is anything amazingly bad i those logs thanks Smiley Happy

I will resurrect this WHEN the issue arise again Smiley Very Happy

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Power levels look OK, there were a lot of timeouts in the log before the restart, so it will be interesting to see if they occur again.  If it slows down again post the power levels and logs before restarting the hub as the levels might be very different.  

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

0 Kudos