Menu
zzxap19
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Wired 165mb Wireless 20mb - what can i do?

I've been upgraded to 150mb yet whenever I run speedtests the best I can get wireless is 20-21mb.

I've tried at different times - morning, evening and weekend - and 20 is pretty standard at all times.

I tried a wired connection and it shot up to 165mb

I've seen/tried all the "improve your wireless" tips - move router, switch channel etc. but I'm connecting to 5ghz and the channel switches automatically. I rather doubt moving the router is going to find 140mb!

I understand that I'm not going to get the full speed when using wireless, but something a little more comparable would be nice!

Thanks

G.

0 Kudos
pete7049
Well-informed
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wired 165mb Wireless 20mb - what can i do?

The equipment that VM supply is "Entry Level" stuff. To get any decent speeds on Wifi, you'll have to buy your own aftermarket router. I'm sure that there are some Techie's on here that can give you some advice on what to go for.

F003443743. December '14 - May '17.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

There are many factors trhat affect wireless speeds like Range, Client hardware, Interference and the Topography of your home.

First of all I would check the capabilities of your wireless clients, as wireless is a two way street and can only go as fast as the slowest component.

Bear in mind not all wireless N adapters are equal. For the fastest speeds you will need clients with MIMO capable adapters, preferably using the 5GHz band where you can use wider wireless channels to carry more data with less risk of interference.

The 5Ghz only wireless AC standard should provide the best wireless speeds.

You can have the best wireless router in the world, but if you have not got wireless adapters that can match the specs will will see no benefit.

Downloading a wireless scanner like InSSIDer or WiFi Analyser would give you some good information to optimise your wireless signal for the best speeds.

0 Kudos
zzxap19
Joining in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

So I think I have more infomation - the 5ghz connection is using protocol 802.11n.

The laptop can handle AC. Does the superhub use AC? How do I make it use ac not n?

0 Kudos
alanwardrop
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

pete7049 wrote:

The equipment that VM supply is "Entry Level" stuff. To get any decent speeds on Wifi, you'll have to buy your own aftermarket router. I'm sure that there are some Techie's on here that can give you some advice on what to go for.

True, but it depends a bit what you mean by decent speeds. The SH2ac and SH3 are both certainly capable of doing better than 20Mbs wireless on 5GHz in my limited experience. I have the 50 Mbs service, and when the service isn't suffering from peak-time contention or other network issues,  I do see wireless tests around the 50 mark, on iphone, windows laptop or Samsung TV,  but only in the same room as the hub.

OP, it might be worth your telling the forum which VM hub you have and what device(s) you are testing with. If you have a wireless monitoring application, something like https://www.acrylicwifi.com/en/wlan-software/wlan-scanner-acrylic-wifi-free/ it would be worth sharing a screen-grab or two of what it's telling you about signal strength, channels in use etc.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

zzxap19 wrote:

So I think I have more infomation - the 5ghz connection is using protocol 802.11n.

The laptop can handle AC. Does the superhub use AC? How do I make it use ac not n?

Which hub do you have? The SH2AC (VMDG 490)  and Hub 3 are Wireless AC compatible.

To enable AC you need to set the hub's 5Ghz radio to performance mode upto 1.3Gbps or enable the 80Mhz channel width in the Hub 3. You will find the wireless radio settings in the advanced settings of the hub's GUI under wireless.

If you have the Hub 3 it would be wise to give the 5Ghz network a different SSID, so you can connect to the 5Ghz band explicitly.

0 Kudos
zzxap19
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

My road to 150mb started a while back when i decided to swap 10mb and a phoneline for 30mb and no line.

30 went to 50 went to 100 went to 150 (which actually gives me 165+)

But I think that means I've still got the original 10mb router - superhub 2.0

I know wireless is never going to be a fast as wired, but surely the gap should be closer than 130+mb

I know also the number of connections is going to have a bearing - this post is just about the laptop so far, but if I can get more speed for the phones, tablet, Alexa, firestick and chromecast that would be most helpful.

0 Kudos
alanwardrop
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Quick questions -  are you getting the same 20Mbs max speed with phone and tablet as with the laptop?

0 Kudos
zzxap19
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Just tested both - and yes, the 20mb figure is pretty standard for both - but they both use the 2.4ghz band.

I can't test the speed of the fire and chrome sticks but they connect to the 2.4 band.

Alexa is on the 5ghz band.

I downloaded Acrylic and have used InSSIDer before to try and keep the channels separate - I've attached a screenshot - the SSID's in question are the Moonbases. Alpah is 2.4 and Omega 5ghz

ssid.jpg

0 Kudos
zzxap19
Joining in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Ah-hah!

Thats better! New speeds: 2.4ghz - 50mb and 5.0ghz 100mb

Went into the superhub advanced settings and found the Wireless radio settings that were set to 54mb max speed. Switched 2.4 to optimum and 5 to max and up went the speed.

Still down on the 150mb I'm supposed to be getting, but much better. Would the switch from n to ac provide the final push to optmise my speeds? That would need a new router I think - VM?

0 Kudos