Menu
Leea55
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Wifi so slow

I pay for up to 100mbs but use to rarely get more than 42mbs. Seeing I only really use the wifi for phone updates and I don't have anything hard wired into the hub. At the weekend I thought I would phone virgin to discuss this speed. The call handler run a test and agreed that the wifi was running slow. His advice was reset the hub. and then complete a further speed test before ending the call.
After completing these steps I cant get no more than 23mbs at various different times throughout the day or night. I have reset the hub but this has made no difference.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wifi so slow

Hi Leea55

Welcome to the forum. I'm very sorry to hear that you are experiencing slow speeds on your wireless connection. There are some problems showing with your upstream power levels when checking so the first thing we will need to do is get these levels adjusted. I'll send you a PM to arrange an engineer visit for this. 

There are many factors that can affect wireless so the speeds will vary, it can also depend on the devices limitations. An ethernet connection will provide a more accurate speed test result for you. After these power levels have been adjusted and are within range I'd recommend having a look at this link here which offers some tips on improving the wireless connection around the home Smiley Happy 

Speak soon  

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Leea55
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I'm still having this ongoing issue with my broadband, with today's dazzling wifi speeds being 3.07 mbs download and 3.17 upload
It has become more apparent after the 200mbs trail has ended and I'm supposably gone back down to 100mbs
0 Kudos
cje85
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Did you arrange an engineer visit to correct the power levels?

Could you post your upstream and downstream power levels by visiting http://192.168.0.1 don't log in, just click Router Status at the top right, then copy the Upstream/Downstream stats.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Wireless speeds are not VM's on any other ISP's concern. They can give you advice on how you can try and get more but ultimately if you want speed you get a hard wired device. Wireless is just a convience with so many factors outside of yours and VM's control that effect it.

Interference,
Your own hardware limitations
Distance
Neighbours wifi / electronics.

All contribute to lower speeds.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
Leea55
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Yes an engineer did visit and he changed a component where the cable enters my home.
We both completed a speed test using the same website and we both come out with different speed test readings.

I have just private messaged you the up and downstream stats.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Leea55,

Sorry this issue continues for you but my tests are showing optimal power levels on your Hub currently.

I'd like to know more about your wireless devices please. To reach speeds of 100mb or more you'll need to ensure your WLAN cards are 'N' or 'AC' standard and dual or multi-stream.

Would you please run a couple of speed tests via speedtest.net using the default server? Post the results on here and let me know what your wireless card specifications are. I'll then look further into this for you.

Many thanks Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
Tom1millionand1
Just joined
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wifi so slow - possible answer - force change frequency

Hi -

I never post on forums but this problem was driving me nuts. I found a solution in my case - hopefully it's of use to someone.

All of a sudden I was getting terrible wifi speeds (2-5mb) BUT my broadband speed was verified as being correct (I have more than one computer connected which was fine). My service is 50mb.

If you are having this problem there are loads of things on-line that you can try first (I did them all + called VM several times) i.e. move router, check for changes in equipment, turn it 'off and on' again etc.

However - in my case I finally guessed that my laptop had decided to start using the 2.4ghz speed (for no reason) and I couldn't figure out how to stop it using this frequency. This frequency is slower than 5.

So - I logged into the hub settings (look on bottom on hub for details) and, as a test, turned off the 2.4 channel then ran a speed test online. Bobs your uncle - back to 50mb as my machine had to connect to the 5ghz channel again. 

As I have devices that need 2.4 I couldn't leave it like this.

So - go to the security section and rename your networks so you can identify the frequency i.e. NETWORK NAME_5ghz

You then need to choose the network / frequency you want and re-input your password fr your devices. 

0 Kudos