Menu
DNE3826
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

WiFi Speed

Hi. I wonder if anyone can help as I am getting very frustrated with Virgin Media.

Only transferred over to Virgin last week and Oh what a trial they are. Wont go into detail but maybe someone can help as Virgin don't seem to take problems seriously. I am signed up for either 100 or 200Mbps (got conflicting info on that). If we work on the lower figure I am getting an 80% drop off in WiFi signal from the router ion my lounge to my desktop computer in my upstairs office (approx. 15m in a straight line through two stud walls). If I hardwire my old Laptop directly to the router I get 105Mbps. If I connect my Laptop wirelessly 0.5m away from the Router I get 24Mbps. I get anything between 7 and 24Mbps in my upstairs office using WiFi. If I connect a BT Powerline Adapter to my house ring main I get about 40Mbps, connecting using WiFi I only get around 22Mbps. As a side point one of my TIVO boxes keeps freezing on the channel I am watching and if I try to change channels it tells me to ring 150. On the last engineer's visit he said the box problem was to do with the changes he did to the Broadband?  Have talked to someone at Virgin and they say they will get an engineer out next week? Is this normal with Virgin? Any help would be really appreciated please.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi Speed

Hi DNE3826

Thanks for posting. I'm sorry to hear of the problems you have been experiencing with your broadband and TV service. We'll certainly take a look into this with you.

Wireless results will vary as there are many factors outside of our control that can affect it. However, when testing your hub there are some problems showing with the upstream power levels that can cause issues. I'd like to arrange an engineer visit to look into this further and to also look into these TiVo issues you have been experiencing. I'll send you a PM to get this arranged.

Speak soon 

Ty

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
DNE3826
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi Speed

Many thanks for your help.

Had an engineer come out. He tried but could not come up with any ideas why we were dropping so much. Has moved the router so we can hard wire directly into my desktop and all is now well thanks.

Problem with the TIVO box cured by changing it.

Dave

0 Kudos