Menu
Andddyyyy
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Wi-fi range problems

Hi guys,

I have been having problems recently with the wi-fi range on the router. I have had virgin media broadband for about a year and a half. The device which is in the same position that it was when i first got virgin is loosing signal bars and speed? I have made no changes in the router settings but it seems to be getting worse? Like the speeds are 1-2 mb down and 0.5 up. Anyone know what it could possibly be? 

Thanks 

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wi-fi range problems

Hi Andddyyyy, 

I am sorry to hear that you're having troubles with the WiFi range of your Hub, I can appreciate this must be annoying for you so apologies for any inconvenience caused.

I've had a look over your connection and I can't see anything out of place from this end. No errors or time outs or anything else that raises cause for concern and all of your power levels are within range on both upstream and downstream.

This would just seem to be a matter of having a little look over some of your wireless settings to see if we can improve performance, the best course of action to try first is to try changing the wireless channels and see if things improve that way.

It would be great if you could post back here when you've tried this to let us know how you get on.

Speak soon, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Andddyyyy
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I have tried changing the bands and still no luck. Please find attached the speeds. http://testmy.net/db/4nRy57CEv.qTExltWRjI think we may need a new router. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hello Andddyyyy

Thank you for getting back.

Were those speeds carried out over the wireless? If so I'm sorry but we are unable guarantee any wireless speeds, we just do our best to help and explain.

There can be so many variables that impact a wireless connection, we have a guide that explains more.

Please let us know how it goes.

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
ILuvNips
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Wifi range and problems can be attributed to a whole host of things. The first thing to check is to ensure that the channel that your wifi is on isn't interfering or being interfered with by neighbouring wifi's. If you have an Android phone then download something called WiFi Analyzer and have a look to see which channels you and your neighbours are using. If there is a clash then find either a free channel or one that has much lower signal levels and try changing your router to use that channel and test to see if things improve.

If this fails to improve things then it could simply be the router has developed a fault. From my point of view and experience not that common, I've got a Netgear on my ADSL line which is years old and still produces a better wifi signal then my Virgin SH2ac router but not unheard of.

In HA7. Billing Area 21.
Utilisation Fault
F003502423: Review Dates -> 07/10/2015 -> 02/12/2015 -> 20/01/2016 Smiley Sad -> Closed Smiley Happy
Utilisation Fault F004873444: Review Dates -> 29/03/2017 Smiley Sad -> Closed Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Martin2875
Joining in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I had a good router that I gave away when Virgin sent me my new hub 3.0 and all was well for about 3 months. Then my range dropped to 2 feet. I had to have my laptop on my knee whilst sitting on my computer chair, right in front of my PC monitor. Smartphone next to my mouse and tablet under my arm. Then I found this page. I adjusted the channels for 2.4 and 5 gig 'cos I don't know what I'm on and all is well again. I aint hanging from no helicopter like the bloke in the advert, hell no, but I now have about 100 foot radius so I can surf the interweb from me back garden. Sweet.

0 Kudos