0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
BrianY
Superfast
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Why is my broadband slow at night?

If speeds normal during 'off peak' then slow from say 4.00pm and at weekends, too many people using the service!
Utilization problems I would say.
You will have to wait till a member of the forum staff had a look at your part of the network.
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi simonbaker60,

Thanks for posting and a warm welcome to the community.

Sorry to read that you are experiencing issues with your broadband speeds during the evenings.

I've run some checks on your broadband connection, the line and the hub have come back as fine which is good. However high peak time traffic in your area is causing the slow speeds you have been experiencing. Our networks team are investigating the problem and are improving bandwidth and performance to help with this issue. The reference number is F003835038 and with a review date of 28th December.

One of my colleagues will be in touch shortly with more information in regards to this issue.

Regards

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

wonko
Dialled in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Because they are not governed by OFCOM rules and don't have to guarantee a minumum speed, unlike every other provider.

And the Advertising Standards Agency only requires that 10% of their customers can hit the advertised speeds which is, IMO, scandalous.

Or in other words, because they can.

Very happy I left VM for BT. I get 72Mbps all day. every day. 

0 Kudos

All Replies
BrianY
Superfast
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If speeds normal during 'off peak' then slow from say 4.00pm and at weekends, too many people using the service!
Utilization problems I would say.
You will have to wait till a member of the forum staff had a look at your part of the network.
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi simonbaker60,

Thanks for posting and a warm welcome to the community.

Sorry to read that you are experiencing issues with your broadband speeds during the evenings.

I've run some checks on your broadband connection, the line and the hub have come back as fine which is good. However high peak time traffic in your area is causing the slow speeds you have been experiencing. Our networks team are investigating the problem and are improving bandwidth and performance to help with this issue. The reference number is F003835038 and with a review date of 28th December.

One of my colleagues will be in touch shortly with more information in regards to this issue.

Regards

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

simonbaker60
Tuning in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Sam,

Prblem still not resolved and this is after 12 months, sorry to say I'm leaving Virgin Media. A quick question though, how can you still advertise the speeds you know you can't provide in my area?

Simon

0 Kudos
wonko
Dialled in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Because they are not governed by OFCOM rules and don't have to guarantee a minumum speed, unlike every other provider.

And the Advertising Standards Agency only requires that 10% of their customers can hit the advertised speeds which is, IMO, scandalous.

Or in other words, because they can.

Very happy I left VM for BT. I get 72Mbps all day. every day. 

0 Kudos
simonbaker60
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Doesn't seem right to me, but I'm not bothered anymore I'm leaving!!!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hey simonbaker60,

I'm really disappointed to hear that you've decided to leave us, but I understand your reasons Smiley Sad

I wish we could have helped more, but as I'm sure you're aware, this is beyond our control.

If there is anything else you'd like our help with, please just ask.

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
simonbaker60
Tuning in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Sorry but how is this out of your control? Your comment makes no sense at all, this is entirely within your control so please don't insult my intelligence!