Menu
jerrysmith
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Why is my Netflix download so pants compared to general download performance?

Just bought a UHD TV.  Streaming 4k from either Netflix or Amazon Prime isnt nec giving me a 4k stream and sometimes its showing as HD.  I've done the 'Check Network' option within Settings on the Amazon box (and also the inbuilt App on the TV) - on Sunday evening download was fluctuating between 10 and 13MB on my Vivid 200 connection.  Checked again at between 10:30 and 10:50 am today (Tuesday 10th Jan):

1.USwitch speedtest with laptop ethernet wired into SuperHub 2 = 150MB

2. USwitch speedtest with laptop through ethernet/poweline adaptor = 80MB

3. Netflix 'Check Network' on Amazon Fire TV connected via ethernet into SuperHub2 = 30MB.

4. Netflix 'Check Network' on inbuilt app on 4K TV connected via ethernet into SuperHub2 = 30MB.

Any ideas?  If the max I'm getting is 30MB on a quiet Tuesday morning then I'm guessing that contention at busy times (evenings/weekends) will see this drop off quite a bit.  Just don't understand why the massive drop from 150MB to 30MB on ethernet connected devices?

Cheers, Jerry

0 Kudos
karma_mechanic
Dialled in
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why is my Netflix download so pants compared to general download performance?

Interesting, I'd noticed the same oddities myself on two Amazon Fire sticks (via wireless) and an Amazon Fire TV (via ethernet). I just repeated the tests:

Fire TV 4k box 'check network' gives 41Mb (ethernet)

The Fire stick I tried gives 51.36Mb (wireless). Odd that it is faster than wired.

The Netflix speed test at fast.com gives 74Mb from my PC (ethernet). That's what I'd expect.

The same speed test via my Samsung Note 3 phone gives 74Mb (wireless). Not bad.

My VM connection is actually the nominal 70Mb and speedtest.net gives me a consistent 74Mb.

The oddity is that the ethernet-connected Amazon Fire TV is the slowest, outrun by the wireless Fire stick in a different room.

Netflix and Amazon UHD material works absolutely fine for me, no glitches or stuttering so 41Mb must be plenty. I can only conclude that the speed reported by the Amazon boxes isn't really a speed test.

Regarding the 4k material showing, you have paid the extra for the 4k subscription haven't you? Sometimes you need to completely sign out/recycle the box before it picks up the changed subscription.

0 Kudos
jerrysmith
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why is my Netflix download so pants compared to general download performance?

Thanks for the reply.  Yes I have paid the upgrade and it shows me the UHD content. gives me the 'Optimising Playback for UHD' banner and I can see the input feed showing as UHD in Prime Video (e.g. Grand Tour or Goliath) when I stream it.  Netflix states 25MBPS for UHD so I'm guessing that I'm not consistently hitting that through the Fire TV Box and its reverting to HD.  As an aside I just re read the Traffic Mgt 'guidelines' on VM. You get to download upto 2.25GB in an hour before they can contractually subject you to Traffic Management - you can burn through that allowance in <60 mins of UHD Streaming so that's not going to help either.  

0 Kudos
cje85
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Traffic management only applies to uploads, you can download/stream as much as you want. 

0 Kudos
wonko
Dialled in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The FireTV OS is quite buggy. Who knows what's going on inside it. Get a laptop on the end of the ethernet cable going to it and you'll get a better idea of what the connection is capable of.

Also, there is a magic button combination to display connection stats overlay on the FireTV. I can't remember offhand what it is, but it can be quite useful.

Have a look at aftvnews.com. The procedure is there in the guides.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hey jerrysmith,

I'm sorry to hear you're unable to stream 4K content on your new TV, I'm sure the picture is excellent so let's see what we can do to get that sorted so you can stream all that great 4K content.

I've had a quick look at things here, and whilst there are peak time speed issues, I don't see any problems on the hub specifically. The 150 Mbps result on the laptop connected via ethernet would also suggest that the hub is passing traffic through OK.

I'm curious, does the TV give a consistent 30 Mbps, even during peak times or when the broadband connection slows down? I'd recommending popping the hub into modem mode for a test, try the laptop and then the TV connected via ethernet and see if there's any improvement.

If that's not helping, could you let us know the make / model of the TV? I'd like to investigate the specs and see if there's any reason why it would only be registering a 30 Mbps connection when the laptop is able to get 150 Mbps.

Let us know how you get on.

Kev

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos