Menu
itsadam
Up to speed
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Why is VM wayyyyy faster in Ireland???

Dear Virgin Media;

I have to cry when I see the average upload speed for Virgin Media users over in ireland is 3x that of what it is in the UK; and also Broadband speeds is a whopping 140mbps faster.

Ireland get 360mbps down with 36mbps upload for the same price as us Brits pay for the 200 service.

So Ireland get a 10:1 ratio; and the British don't??? Where is the fairness? Why are we paying as much for a lesser service?  Utterly disgusting; you should be ashamed.  Why the hell is Ireland's upload speed 3x faster than the British get??????

Don't give me none of that crap about infrastructure either.

So what the actually hell is going on??? I would like a response from a proper Virgin Media rep.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why is VM wayyyyy faster in Ireland???

What would a UK VM rep know about the Irish operation?

And why stop comparing there , why not look at LG's business in other territories, they get different  packages at different rates too...

Local conditions including costs and competition will dictate what any service supplier offers and at what price. Its more expensive to do business in the UK than in Ireland, so obviously prices will be lower...

0 Kudos
Bartman007
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Don't mention Slovakia Smiley Very Happy 

LOL

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All the information I provide is available on Google Search, I just make it simple for you Smiley Happy
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Although there may be some cultural and price differentials, some things remain constant. Slovakian's  too, suffer from the PUMA lag spike if the marketing is anything to go by...

Slovakia.png

HUB3. With added nuts.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Homeworks + is 300Mbps down and 20up

Different infrastructure, Ireland is far less densley populated than the UK.

itsadam
Up to speed
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Yes Homeworks+ is 300mbit down and 20up, that shows that at least in some areas (especially mine) this is available and should be offered.

Their reason is they bought a different company blah blah and different infrastructure (better hint hint because VM are cheapskates) and thus speeds are different.

However those speeds can easily be available to UK customers, at the very least we should be on the Homeworks+ speeds.

However to get even remotely close to Ireland speeds we are expected to pay a great deal more.

Ireland is not a million miles away from us, it is smack bang next door to us, connected.

If I was going to compare France or Germany with us that would be a different story, but its more like. Comparing wales or Scotland with us.

It's disgusting either way, supplying a faster service for cheaper.

Also be aware more densely populated areas should have better infrastructure to cover that since there's more money coming in. I live in the middle of nowhere and I've got 210-220 on my speed tests 24/7.
0 Kudos
cje85
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I think the VM UK network suffered years of neglect until the company was sold in 2013. whereas Ireland's cable service had been owned by Liberty Global for a lot longer and probably received more investment. Liberty owned services in Europe often provide up to 400 or 500Mb. 

0 Kudos
itsadam
Up to speed
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

That doesn't excuse the fact that faster is available but unlike our Ireland friends were expected to pay an additional £15 for a still slower service.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

itsadam wrote:
That doesn't excuse the fact that faster is available but unlike our Ireland friends were expected to pay an additional £15 for a still slower service.

As Ive stated before, Ireland has a totally different cost base. Thats why you pay more for less.

0 Kudos
itsadam
Up to speed
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

You're not answering the question so; why you keep posting when I requested staff to post is beyond me, is there some form of self entitlement you have?

0 Kudos