Menu
Loosecanons
Up to speed
Message 1 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Why has my speed dropped?

I have just extended my contract after a long call with the retention team. SKY Q was beckoning ...

However, in the end I downgraded my TV package as I didn't need the M+ channels.

Despite repeated assurance my broadband would stay at 150 it has now dropped to 100.

Do you know why?

thank you

0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why has my speed dropped?

Only 50 100 and 200 come with the new bundles

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Any package renegotiation at all will move you to one of the 'new' tiers of 50/100/200. The 'upgrade' tiers 70/150 are not available for renegotiation.

Phone staff scripts are horrendous.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
Loosecanons
Up to speed
Message 4 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Shafreya wrote:
Any package renegotiation at all will move you to one of the 'new' tiers of 50/100/200. The 'upgrade' tiers 70/150 are not available for renegotiation.

Thanks for the reply.

Well that's not what they told me on the phone. I asked repeatedly and was told ONLY the TV would be downgraded.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 22
Flag for a moderator

You can revert back, if you speak to can cancellations I think you get 14 days to go back.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hi Loosecanons, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear your speed was reduced after renegotiation your contract. 

As mentioned plenty in the thread, the 152mb is only available to existing customers who were being boosted from 100mb for free. We no longer offer this speed. 

Any change in your services would move you on to one of our new tiers. 

Let us know how the call goes and if there is anything else we can help advise on, pop back to the Community. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
thinkpad
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Shafreya wrote:

I'm not so sure about that. I've managed to stay on the 70Mb package when renegotiating only a few weeks ago.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Kind of curious, always been told that you go on the new speed tier when you change package.

Got speedtests showing still on 70Mbs?

0 Kudos
avro698
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Had / have a similar problem. Phoned to get a small reduction in monthly bill - a loyalty discount (20 year customer: CabelTel -NTL -VM). No package / bundle change required. Was told that package / bundle would stay exactly the same (TV: XL, BB: 150, Phone: Talk Weekends)*.

Concluded discussion with call centre. I then go online and broadband has dropped to 100Mbps. Call through again, asked to be put back on existing B/B speed as I did not request a change. Can now go to my account and it states, 150Mbps broadband but using Speedtest, modem refuses to go higher than 100Mbps.

My point is, I had 150Mbps, it has been reduced, through no fault of my own and I want it returned back to its original service level. Now trying to get in touch with someone to sort this out is nigh on impossible. So what do I do now? I don't see the need for an engineer to visit as everything was working fine until I rang customer service, I just need the technical people to put my modem configuration back to 150Mbs.

*One more thing to add, at no time was advised that requesting a loyalty reduction would result in a package / bundle change or that any changes affects my contract with VM.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Loosecanons
Up to speed
Message 10 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Sounds like exactly the same that has happened to me.
My phone package stayed the same so why not the broadband?

I don't run Speedtest every day and I think I have gone beyond my 14 day cooling off period.

Frankly, the thought of battling through multiple customer service calls to try and sort it out simply does not appeal to me.

At least we have a new Tivo box to look forward to. Wonder how much that 'upgrade' will cost ...?

0 Kudos