Menu
nextman
Tuning in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Why are you holding customers to ransom?

Im in area 20. Im paying for 200mbps but even at 1AM my download speed is 10mbps. Thats slower than my upload speed. I receive 5% of the advertised speed but I have to pay the full price. I tried to cancel last week but they want a £180 early termination fee. The advisor did not offer me any incentive to stay with virgin but had the nerve to tell me I would be in breach of contract if I cancelled hence the fee. So I've started a case on Resolver. Which regulatory authority can i report this to? Any help appreciated. Been with virgin since it was called NTL but they won't get another penny from me.
0 Kudos
Bestie
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why are you holding customers to ransom?

If VM are 100% at fault, utilisation (over subscribing) is their problem, then make a formal complaint with VM, after 8 weeks if its not resolved take it to CISAS, follow my simple guide to make it easier.

You can, if you provide enough evidence to CISAS you can get up to, if not more than 50% of your BB costs.

Hit them in their pocket not yours.

Good luck

Regards

Beat you to it Bart Simpson Smiley Tongue

nextman
Tuning in
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thanks bestie. I have been told its a utilisation fault by customer service. I was willing to wait for the fix untill they said it wont be done till June. Although customer relations insisted it may be a fault with my wireless. I know this isnt the case because I spent alot of time tweaking my setup and I've recorded speeds of upto 220mbps over wifi.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Wireless is not a true test of your internet connection as it affected by many influences like Range, Interference, Client hardware, The number of devices connected to the router and the Topography of your home.

I take it by, "tweaks" that you are regularly scanning your wireless environment with a Spectrum Analyser to check for interference from all sources of EM interference.

Recording 220mbps on wireless (I assume you are testing actual speed and not link speed) would just indicate you have kit that supportts the speed (AC), it doesn;t mean you can sustain it, that will depend on your wireless environment. Wireless AC needs a strong signal (around -57dBm to maintain a 80Mhz wide channel and 256QAM modulation. So, any blips in the wireless environment would significantly reduce your speed.

Unfortunately, The Offshore Support Center is a crap shoot, and personally, I would take everything they say with a pinch of salt. Did they give you a fault reference number for the "utilisation" fault

To confirm you are suffering from a utilisation fault I would test your speeds wired with a device equiipped with a gigabit ethernet adapter connected directly to the hub by Cat 5e or better cable.during the day and again during evening peak times. If you are getting headline speeds during the day and poor speeds during evening peak times you have confirmed you have a utilisation fault.

If this is the case, then I would phone in again and  insist on a fault reference number and a estimated fix date. Armed with this information, you can then call retentions (thinking of leaving us option) and ask to terminate your contract as VM cannot provide a reasonable service and cannot fix it in a timely manner.

Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi nextman,

I can confirm that peak time demand in the area is high and networks are investigating on ref. F004912737, the current review date on the upgrade work is for around June. It may be helpful to test outside of evening periods to determine if this is the sole issue or if other factors are involved.

Kind rgds

Ralph_R
Forum Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
kirsty123
Superfast
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Play them at their own game. Wait till they increase the prices and you can leave without charge straight away, just tell them you want to leave due to the increase in price.

0 Kudos
nextman
Tuning in
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thanks griffin. Yes i have considered all these factors. Ive got 2 bridged routers placed strategically in my home running dd wrt. They both broadcast on 80mhz channels ive selected after analysing the 2.4 and 5ghz spectrums. Also its not link speed I'm testing - that is generally at 780-866mbps.

Before I started having these issues i could get 150meg on my lawn. I have carried out wired tests on my desktop with no better result than on my laptop.

Fortunately, i've had an update from virgin media. They are willing to waive the early termination fee. Just waiting for confirmation in the post.

This is my last good result:
http://i.imgur.com/4OKFW5N.jpg

Thanks all.
0 Kudos
nextman
Tuning in
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Update on this. I was given a £10/month credit for staying with virgin till June. The problem was supposed to be fixed by June 7th and I had already paid my line rental in full for the year. Called them up today to see how far they've got. At 9am on a saturday morning im still getting 20mbit instead of 200. And theyve just informed me the next review date is in 6 months time. They have forwarded my complaint (again) and will (probably not) be getting back to me. I've foolishly stayed with them for 6 months and paid for 200mb broadband (minus £10 credit) since december when I was about to leave. Just waiting for my line rental saver to end and I will be leaving for good. The stupid thing is this is a utilisation issue and they have just connected my neighbour, I will pop round later and see what speeds shes getting.
0 Kudos
greyman
Superfast
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08xk11f

"... including a test into whether one of the country's most familiar companies is offering new customers a service it knows it can't deliver."

BBC Watchdog, next Wednesday on BBC 1. at 8pm, providing something good to watch when your broadband becomes totally unusable, due to over-subscription, and you need to kill some time.  It might be interesting.

0 Kudos
nextman
Tuning in
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Interesting. I think I'll be writing in for that one.
0 Kudos