Menu
WhiteleyCustome
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Whiteley heavily reduced service for 6 months

For the past month I have been suffering multiple outages and a heavily reduced speed on a daily basis. As an example today more than 75% of the time my speed is down from the 55-75meg region to the 1 to 1.5 meg region. Often my broadband goes down completely for an hour or so.

Having monitored the Voice 4 Whiteley Facebook page I have seen multiple reports of this and most people have said they have spoken to Virgin and their are long term 'improvements' going on. Well 6 months of 1 meg is not a long term improvement, it is a long term massive service degradation.

Many people in Whiteley work from home, of them many have no alternative location because their parent offices are in London or in other countries. 

So now what do I do, spend 4-5 hours a day commuting up to London ? Tell my employer I can't do my job anymore ? If pushed customer service will offer you 16 GBP a month compensation - big deal !  That is really going to compensate me for loosing my job ! Even if I wanted to go with BT broadband it would cost me 30 GBP a month, so Virgin, why not sign your existing customers up to BT as compensation ?

As far as Virgin's approach to this, as ever with their engineering it is completely disorganised when it comes to customer communication. 

I have never received a letter about this with a completion date. Nobody has communicated to my why in order to improve a service they have to degrade the existing service (presumably there is no redundancy in the infrastructure ?). Why does it take 6 months ? Is there a technical reason ? I doubt it, there is a cost reason, if they trebled up the engineers would it get done in 2 months. As an engineer I know myself that just throwing manpower at a job doesn't necessarily mean it will get done quicker, but it would nice to know as a valued customer the reasons for a 6 month outage/major degradation. With all other Virgin faults, the fix date seems to roll further back at random, so I will be expecting June to extend to July, to August and onwards. I am pretty sure also that this improvement is about getting more customers and hence more revenue onboard rather than maintaining or improving the existing customer's experience.

As far as I am concerned Virgin has absolutely no respect for its customers, they must know that this work would have caused major disruption to people and they could have communicated better so that we can then communicate with our employers (in the case of home workers).

I challenge Virgin; this is a customer service and an engineering mess, this is not going to make my service better it is just going to in June bring it back to the level you advertise with the added benefit of Virgin being able to expand their customer base, please convince me otherwise.

Over the period of the next 10 days I will be investigating how I can make this issue more prominent on social media and mainstream media. I will be inviting the people of Whitely to bring Virgin Media to account. I will be bringing to the attention of Virgin's competitors the opportunity they are now presented with in Whiteley.

0 Kudos
cje85
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Whiteley heavily reduced service for 6 months

If you get slow speeds at peak time, that will be down to level of usage in your area. If the current infrastructure cannot meet the demand then the speed will slow down at peak times when everyone is online. Problems like this take a very long time to fix. 

However during the day you should still be able to get full speeds, and the connection shouldn't be dropping entirely, so it sounds like you may have a different problem.

If you could post your router status that might shed some light on the problem. Go to http://192.168.100.1 but don't log in, just click Router Status which is either a button at the top right, or a link at the bottom of the screen, depending on which Hub you have. Then simply copy/paste (or screenshot) the Downstream, Upstream and Network Log pages.

WhiteleyCustome
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I am well aware of how networks work and i am well aware that I should expect some reduction at peak times. If you read the post you will see that this is a decision that has been made by Virgin to inconvenience their existing customers for 6 months, otherwise why would they be offering so many people in Whiteley compensation. Unfortunately £15 per month in not compensation for a home worker who will loose their job if they can not be online.This has nothing to do with my router. There are many people in Whiteley affected by this and they have all been given the same answer, which is that Virgin are carrying out engineering works which will last for 6 months and we should expect this reduction. My router ran at 60 - 75m for many months even during peak periods

cje85 wrote:

If you get slow speeds at peak time, that will be down to level of usage in your area. If the current infrastructure cannot meet the demand then the speed will slow down at peak times when everyone is online. Problems like this take a very long time to fix. 

However during the day you should still be able to get full speeds, and the connection shouldn't be dropping entirely, so it sounds like you may have a different problem.

If you could post your router status that might shed some light on the problem. Go to http://192.168.100.1 but don't log in, just click Router Status which is either a button at the top right, or a link at the bottom of the screen, depending on which Hub you have. Then simply copy/paste (or screenshot) the Downstream, Upstream and Network Log pages.

, now it is at 1.5 as are many other people, this is an issue that Virgin have decided to create in order to carry out their engineering works.

0 Kudos
WhiteleyCustome
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Here is an example of the response by Virgin quoted on this very forum:

"Our technicians are working to get this resolved and have set a review date of 14th June."

Thank goodness I don't treat my customers like that....6 months to resolve a network issue, is a snail on the job ?
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hello WhiteleyCustome,

Thanks for posting Smiley Happy

Sorry to hear about the connection problems you're getting, I do know how frustrating this is and I wish I could bring better news.

We can only pass on the info we have, we will happily check for updates and if anything changes we will inform you.

These faults can go on for a while due to the complexity of the work required to make improvements to the network in your area.

Please keep in touch with us and thanks for your patience,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Bartman007
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

If VM are 100% at fault, utilisation (over subscribing) is their problem, then make a formal complaint with VM, after 8 weeks if its not resolved take it to CISAS, follow my simple guide to make it easier.

You can, if you provide enough evidence to CISAS you can get up to, if not more than 50% of your BB costs.

Hit them in their pocket not yours.

Also, TBH, the more that complain paints a picture to CISAS, and in turn OFCOM might get involved, it might be a small percentage, but its a big enough percentage to make heads turn.

Don't procrastinate, go and do it.

Good luck

Regards

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All the information I provide is available on Google Search, I just make it simple for you Smiley Happy
0 Kudos