Menu
echelom
Fibre optic
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

When will 360Mb be in UK?

Hi,

I just read that Virginmedia is customers in Ireland to sign up and use the new 360Mb cable modems. Typical sepcifications of the modem was:

Basic ARRIS TG2492S/CE Specification
* Euro / DOCSIS 3.0 (24 Downstream and 8 Upstream channels)
* 4 Gigabit Ethernet LAN Ports
* 2 x RJ-11 Telephone Ports
* 802.11 AC WiFi (2.4GHz + 5GHz)
* Download Speed of up to 1 Gbps (ignore this, you won’t ever get that on VM until DOCSIS3.1 arrives)

There is no word in the UK, when this will be rolled out, I have looked everywhere and found nothing, apart from in Ireland?

Regards,

Les.

0 Kudos
StopItRawr
Rising star
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: When will 360Mb be in UK?

That is the Hub 3.0, currently being rolled out in the UK at the moment for new customers.

The top broadband tier of course is only 200mb here but that may change at some point in the future depending on VM/Libery Globals plans.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

VM already have that hub, but they call it 'hub 3.0' for the time being. https://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CONFIGURATION=1001&PARTITION_ID=1&TIMEZON... - this hub is on a limited release with VM as it is still in trial.

Currently, VM's network kit is set offer 16 downstreams at most to the new hub, though in the future they will increase to 24 (therein making full use of the hub's potential.)

As to broadband packages, some areas were trialing 300 down, 20 up (not sure if they still are.) But the next speed upgrade around November would will be the time to check.

Edit: beaten to it Cat Happy

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

The current 200Mbs roll out hasn't been completed in all areas yet and the estimated dates seem to keep getting pushed back, so I'd guess 2017 maybe 2018.

0 Kudos
keasy
Up to speed
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

The current upgrades to 200 are a joke with many people evidently from this forum (and like me) going from stable consistent speeds to appalling half of what used to be achieved. 

VM should concentrate on maintaining  the infrastructure and keeping the network from congestion and contention instead of stupid speeds to boast that they are fastest, when their network is crumbling around them.

0 Kudos
echelom
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Virginmedia are concentrating on maintaining the current infrastructure and keeping the current network from congestion in many areas, while in other areas including mine, congestion is quite high in the evenings. On saying that though, it's usually around 214Mb downstream and 12-13Mb upsteam - but this does drop to just below 200Mb.

Broadband and our rain!
But on saying the aforementioned, this morning I was getting 1.83Mb downstream - it never got to the upstream because I did a full reboot of the whole network. But this is nothing unusual for Virginmedia (it rained last night, and that affects our connection everytime!). They say it is the actual green boxes in the streets, which are not waterproof - even though I was told this had been fixed.

Best time for our BROADBAND is in our non-existant Summer's with no rain! Smiley Mad

0 Kudos
cje85
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I'd be happy to get 3.60Mb at peak times first, before they think about 360Mb.

0 Kudos
Bartman007
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

They need to completely overhaul the old hardware first as it struggles over 50Mbps in the evenings here, it struggles to get 152Mbps after 12pm TBH, 200Mbps will not be achievable 80% of the time, 360Mbps is a pipe dream, but saying that FTTP is on our local BT Exchange, but its not live for residential usage, but when it is its upto 330Mbps and 30Mbps download, so there might be some hope in the near future, for my grandchildren Smiley Tongue 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All the information I provide is available on Google Search, I just make it simple for you Smiley Happy
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
whipgeez
Dialled in
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

if it was through virgin i wouldn't want it
0 Kudos
theghost
Tuning in
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

they cannot manage what they advertise at this moment in time
they will charge you a hell of a lot more for what even more complaints virgin getting worse need to sort out the very basics before they try to RIP more people off
0 Kudos