Menu
CicAndrews
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

When is my line switched from 20mb to 70mb

My current line is limited to 20mb as I am using a very old VM modem.  I have new SH 3.0 waiting to be plugged in, and VM have told me I will get a 70mb line afterwards.   

① After the SH 3.0 is plugged in and activated how long does it take for the line to upgrade to 70mb ?

② Do I have to contact VM to request a speed upgrade to 70mb

③or does the upgrade happen automatically after a few hours (?) or a few days (?)

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: When is my line switched from 20mb to 70mb

hiya @CicAndrews for this would require more manual intervention, since if the account was set for 70mb, using the old modem you wouldn't get online, so when its all wired up, activated best bet would be having a chat with customer services. and should be upgraded in speed within a few mins
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
0 Kudos
BrianY
Superfast
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

On receiving your SH3 there should have been a telephone No to ring to activate it.
Once activated the speed increase should be straight away! [As paul said earlier]
0800 9539500 -landline 0333 0003331 mobile
0 Kudos
CicAndrews
Tuning in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I have already activated it once, but I hit problems so I had to remove the SH 3.0, re- install the old VM modem, then ring up to activate the old VM modem. 

The SH 3.0 was active for about two hours and during those two hours there was no automatic upgrade to 70mb. 

So I know that (in my case) there was NO immediate upgrade from 20mb to 70mb. 

Hence my original question - does anyone knows exactly what happens?

0 Kudos
BrianY
Superfast
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Did you ask Virgin to check on what speed you should have been on prior to taking off line?
0 Kudos
BrianY
Superfast
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Your speed should have been 50Mb or there abouts.
I would try again to activate and if necessary talk to the UK agent.
0 Kudos
CicAndrews
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

All that happened was that when I rung the agent to activate a second time (to re-activate to old VM modem) he said I was lucky that the line had not switched to 70mb.  The agent said if the line had switched to 70mb then the agent would not have been able to re-activate the old VM modem. 

Still does not answer my original question - what is the exact process that switches the line from 20mb to 70mb. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi CicAndrews, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear you had some issues when upgrading your line to the new speed. 

Usually when an order is placed for new equipment with a new speed, it won't increase until the new hub is activated. From this point, the switch can sometimes be immediate although in some cases it can take up to 24 hours for things to go through. 

If after the 24 hours, you still hadn't seen the increase then we would have chased this to find out where the issue lays. 

Since posting have you been able to upgrade your speed and get new equipment working?

Come back and let us know.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
CicAndrews
Tuning in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your clear reply. 

I have not attempted to re-install the hub 3.0 as I need all my connected equipment to work correctly with 100% certainty.  But I will try again with the Hub 3.0 and see if I can get my other equipment working as smoothly as they do with my old VM modem. 

I have read that the new V9.1.116V firmware will resolve my port forwarding problems.  If it does not I will test with the Hub 3.0 in modem mode.  If that doesn't work I will have to remove the Hub 3.0 again, and hope that I can reinstall my old VM modem. 

0 Kudos