Menu
GrumpyCatRules
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

What on earth is going on? (Area 01)

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/6001006089

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/6001048075

1 Mb/s on a VIVID 200 connection after 11pm!?

The absolute maximum I can get at the moment is around 35 Mb/s at 10am in the morning.

Phone support gives conflicting answers, along with utter lies. There's a fault in the area, there's no fault in the area. Virgin are working on upgrades ending 1st Feb. Virgin are working on upgrades ending 4th Feb - all the info on here seems to indicate that upgrades won't end at all, and that the February date is some kind of ongoing infrastructure review?

I'm sick of this to be honest. My 4G phone connection is around 30 times faster, even though it's in a poor reception area!

I'd like a clear answer on whether this is a definite issue that will be fixed, or whether it's part of the ongoing problems around the country with too many customers competing for bandwidth.

Virgin's broadband has been pretty solid for years (unlike phone support) but this is ridiculous.

It might also be worth people chipping in with alternatives if this isn't resolved, as I'm not paying a fortune each month for a service that is sub-par for 15 years ago.

Suggestioins so far seem to include finding another ISP - which likely brings in a whole new set of service issues. Or putting up with the garbage service, and contacting retentions to have the service reduced to SuperFibre 50, on a per month basis, rather than being tied to a year contract.

Any other suggestions are appreciated. I can't even stream YouTube videos at the minute, let alone play games, stream TV services, download, etc.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: What on earth is going on? (Area 01)

GrumpyCatRules wrote:

Suggestioins so far seem to include finding another ISP - which likely brings in a whole new set of service issues. Or putting up with the garbage service, and contacting retentions to have the service reduced to SuperFibre 50, on a per month basis, rather than being tied to a year contract.

Any other suggestions are appreciated. I can't even stream YouTube videos at the minute, let alone play games, stream TV services, download, etc.

Those ARE your options. Review dates come and go, infrastructure upgrades take time. A lot of time. And VM dont do month to month contracts, if you change your package you are tied in for another year. Unfortunately a change of provider is likely your best option.

0 Kudos
GrumpyCatRules
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

From my experience, that's not "quite" true.

Technically, they don't offer monthly contracts for services, but they can apply discounts on whatever terms they wish. There was also a post I read here yesterday - which I can't find amongst all the service complaints now - where someone stated they did this very thing.

I do know one thing, which is that I won't be paying for a service that they aren't providing.

It's not quite at that stage yet anyway. The first thing I'd like is an honest answer to what is happening. A week ago, the service was more or less fine - perhaps the odd glitch in the week prior to that. This week it's terrible.

I'd just like to know if this is something that will be fixed, or if it is a result of oversubscription. Terms like "review dates" are meaningless to customers. Virgin can either provide the services they advertise and fix faults when they occur in a reasonable time frame, or they can't.

Edit: How the heck do you quote on these forums?

0 Kudos
greyman
Superfast
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I dropped from 200 down to 50 and although they did attempt to tie me into a new 12 month contract, a logical argument that it was VM's poor performance that was forcing me to change, along with a request to discuss it with a supervisor, convinced them otherwise.

however, as and when the over-utilisation issue is addressed, that discussion might need to be repeated, to get me back up to 200Mbps.  If I haven't already switched by then, that is

0 Kudos