Menu
Farhana
Superfast
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

What makes an area over utilised?

How many houses? Every house on the road/in the area on VM? Does it effect a whole area reference area or just specific parts of the area?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: What makes an area over utilised?

Area references cover multiple cities, so no, a contention issue doesn't affect an entire area ref. Each contention issue affects a singular cable, of which many numerous homes in a locality have their connection go through (many homes, not just all the homes in one street.).

______
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
0 Kudos
chutwutt
Superfast
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Horseman told me once that this is due to too many people downloading ignitions posts and gary dexters posts....

Im not saying thats true, just sharing the knowledge. 

lmao

JPL8
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Greed.

"Cable broadband is typically faster than copper-based services, but a significant minority of users experience severe slowdowns in peak times." — Ofcom, UK Home Broadband Performance, November 2016
pyrotenax
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

under provision

Running ASUS RT-AC88U with Asuswrt-Merlin firmware
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

ISPs getting caught out by the massive rise in bandwidth demands (streaming becoming popular) and now the ever going on game of cat and mouse with upgrades needed vs consumer demand for higher quality streams/content.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
Farhana
Superfast
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

What is a realistic date to expect a system wide fix?
0 Kudos
Bartman007
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Farhana wrote:
What is a realistic date to expect a system wide fix?

They might have to review that question later, but TBH I don't think anyone could give a 100% on the nail answer to that one.

All the domino's have to be lined up correctly before the first one is pushed.

Regards

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All the information I provide is available on Google Search, I just make it simple for you Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Andy1975
Fibre optic
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

mines been going on and off for 12 years.. When they "fix" it they then offer a free upgrade and kill the network again and do some promotional work and over sell ontop of that.

So a realistic date is never! you will have 6 months of good internet and 2 years of worthless internet followed by 6 months good etc etc etc

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

By system wide you mean across the country? Never.

As said it's a constant game of catch up and guess work to how much bandwidth an location suffering actually needs. As the fixes are taking a year or so to do for each location, a customers quality demand will go up in that time, technology will require more bandwidth, more customers will get signed up. So in the year or two that the fix gets planned, the demand WILL go up leading to the next stage of upgrades being needed again.

Until services become Fibre to the property across the board, this contention will continue as it is, a constant viscious cycle if you live in an area that is full of people flocking to the (unneeded) 200Mbs headlines - only to then actually want 10Mbs bandwidth for their streaming.

Customers need to realise that stability and reliability is far better than raw download speeds as most day to day tasks and wants will not come close to using 10% of their 200Mbs connection.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos