RedGooner
Knows their stuff
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

WOW just hit 220Mbs. Thanks VM

WOW just hit 220Mbs. Thanks VM

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 200Mb VM service with SH2 AC in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-N66U router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk.
0 Kudos
jhuk
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: WOW just hit 220Mbs. Thanks VM

That was the 1st time I had tried WIFI on my desktop PC (m2 slot WIFI/BTadapter) due to never getting about 198Mb/s and normally 130-150Mb on my Moto X Gen2 which seems to have weak WIFI.

So the HUB3 is capable after all but the PC is right next to it.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hey both,

Thanks for posting your speed test results, it's fantastic to see how quick your connection is! Smiley Very Happy

I really appreciate you taking the time to share this!

You know where we are if you ever need support.

Have a great weekend and take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
mrpops2ko
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Chances are those speedtests are from virgin media repos, and aren't indicative of actual performance. 

Virgin Media struggles with congestion quite a bit, but I guess that is the trade off we make for accessing faster speeds when neither big players BT or VM wish to invest money into infrastructure. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@mrpops2ko

When you consider how many of VMs customers complain to how many have their services. You can assume the majority of VM customers actually receive full speeds.

They do publish their average speed figures (independently acquired)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
mrpops2ko
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@shafeya

I really wish that was true.

What actually is the case is that the majority of customers aren't technically literate and dont use / require their full speed and even if they did, wouldn't know how to debug issues. The average customer of any ISP is not technically literate.

For those of us who actually can debug this stuff, and bother to invest the time figuring out where bottlenecks are, realise just how congested VMs networks are at peak times.

I recently made a thread and wrongly assessed congestion happening in my area, it turned out that it wasn't in my area at all but when the traffic hit London at peak times. To rectify this, I now have all my traffic going to France before terminating in the UK. 

The average consumer wouldn't be able to diagnose any of this and would shrug it off as something wrong with their setup, when in fact it is the Virgin Media network. 

0 Kudos
sn1
Joining in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

When you consider how many of VMs customers complain to how many have their services. You can assume the majority of VM customers actually receive full speeds.

.......we could equally assume many customers don't realise that speedtest.net is prioritised to hide congestion issues and also doesn't show single threaded connection issues. Many customers also assume their service is "fine" as that's all they know.

However a fact is since I've been with VM and discussed the my findings with neighbours and friends and told them how to check well over half now know their internet issues are due to VM congestion or single thread connection issues.

So lets not assume anything and instead concentrate on the many customers that aren't getting anywhere near what they should and wait for years for a fix.  I would be fine with paying more to get a good broadband service but VM cannot manage this on home or business service.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

To both of you. When I referred to the independent figures for average speeds across the network, this is not from speedtest. It's not from super computer literate people.

It's from the SamKnows program.

If you don't know what that is, the basics is it's a white box that's attached to your router that monitors your speeds over time by doing its own tests. VM do not own this program. It's not influenced by your home networks capabilities (wireless).

VM publish these results monthly as they have nothing to hide in those respects.

http://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/speeds.html

Those are the average speeds there for everyone to see. Yes people get horrendous, indefensible speeds. But that's not a reflection of the network as a whole.

The network in general copes.

As to people not always getting their full headline speeds and not knowing, that will happen. BUT, when you consider how much bandwidth most activities uses, no one needs it. Most people could quite happily get away with a stable 10Mbs connection (if it was stable. Over utilization removes the stability however so while you may have enough bandwidth it's 'corrupted') and not even any problems. Our personal greed and inability to wait, and our change in habits into streaming content, combined with companies greed, is where utilization has come into play.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
mrpops2ko
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

You make some excellent points, but the devil is in the detail. I would agree that information is accurate, if like you claim it was deployed across the entire network for all users. That is not the case. It is only used by a very small amount of participants who volunteered.

I'm looking for stats on how many did it in the 2015 test, but in the 2014 one there was 1181. 

The issues of single threaded connections is a real one and I really do wish VM would work towards resolving that. Also the youtube local repos they do are incredibly slow and cause buffering. I can understand the bandwidth savings of a local repo but upgrading the server so popular videos don't end up buffering for 5 minutes before they launch is something they should consider.

EDIT: found 2015.

n November 2015 which was gathered from a residential panel of over 2,000 volunteers who have connected a hardware measurement unit to their broadband router.

So yeah, devil is in the detail. 

0 Kudos
jhuk
Knows their stuff
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I read Speedtst.net is multithreaded so will get good results if connection is running well but the single threaded test on Thinkbroadband is more real life usage and can be lower at times.

I was only really doing an apple to apples test as I blamed the Hub3 for not doing 300+Mb/s on WIFI be it close to PC.

PC is wired always, WIFI now removed from it.

So basically my other Android devices have weak WIFI.

0 Kudos