Menu
sid49
Tuning in
Message 1 of 34
Flag for a moderator

WA3 Golborne Speed issue

Speeds have dropped to 2mbps on a wired network each evening this week from about 6pm. I have contacted the support team and they say it is because of 95% utilisation and it should be fixed by mid April.

This is an absolute joke. If virgin are selling a service then it should be available when people want to use it which is when they get home from work. Waiting for 2 months is crazy.

Parki79
Rising star
Message 2 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Re: WA3 Golborne Speed issue

I am also in the WA3 - Golborne area and struggle with the same 6mb speeds. The date they have given you for April is not a fix date but a review date. As soon as April comes they will push this date back to June. You will find that the same Fault number you have has been open for a year and they have pushed it back over and over with no intention to fix. I would advise switching to EE Fibre for a year and then coming back when it is fixed. EE has the fastest average broadband speeds in the WA3 area. 36mb average to Virgins 24mb average.

I am in a Virgin Over Utilised Area - F003476231 - Never Ending Fault.
0 Kudos
Parki79
Rising star
Message 3 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Btw, have you received any credit for the Utilisation issue? You need to tell everyone you know on Virgin in the area to run a speed test beween 8-9pm and to phone up and complain and insist on credit for their loss of service. I go around and tell eevryone I meet who their broadband is with and if they say Virgin get them to run a speed test. The more people that phone up and get a refund, is the only way they may consider a fix. They will not do it otherwise. I try to mention it to a few people a day at least.

It is not just Golborne, people in areas between here and Goose Green suffer too. Remember to tell people 150 and claim some money back for loss of service. We need to get this sorted ourselves. As soon as Virgin realise they will lose money they may care a bit more about customers.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Hi sid49

Thanks for posting. I'm really sorry to hear of the slow speeds that you have been experiencing in the evenings. I can see the fault ticket that you've mentioned which is linked to you. The reference for this fault is F00347623. There is a review date estimated for 06/04/2016. If you are able to bump the thread a little closer to this review date we can certainly check for any updates on the fault ticket.

Kind regards

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Parki79
Rising star
Message 5 of 34
Flag for a moderator

F003476231 - If this is the same fault as mine - WA3. Been pushed back from 06/04/2016 to June 2016. And so it continues.

0 Kudos
sid49
Tuning in
Message 6 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Yes I have spoken to them and had a credit up to April. Will just have to see what happens next. Been with virgin / telewest for over 25 years. This is the worst service problem I have had to date, and it is pretty major.

Sid

0 Kudos
Parki79
Rising star
Message 7 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Just need to push to get Golborne resolved. Get people you know on Virgin I'm Golborne to run speed checks and complain it's the only way.

skipper2000
Tuning in
Message 8 of 34
Flag for a moderator

I live in Lowton (WA3) and I've had exactly the same issue since Sept 2014 (yes that's right 2014). They keep promising a fix date, which has moved out at least 6 times.

I was told that it should be sorted by  April the 6th, then this moved into May and as of yesterday has now moved into August 2016.

The bloke I spoke to yesterday gave me the usual Virgin Media script - very sorry, it works well at other parts of the day etc etc. was unable to give any details at all on whats being done to improve the situation.

Einstein said something along the lines "only an idiot does the same thing again and again and expects different results" so I have therefore reached the conclusion that they have no intention of fixing this until customers start to vote with their feet -  after many years (15+) of being a loyal customer I'm quitting Virgin Media. Very poor customer service and a highly dubious business practice of continuing to recruit customers to old infrastructure which can no longer cope. I will go out of my way to make sure friends and family don't make the mistake of signing up to Virgin, particularly in the Wigan/Warrington area.

Don't be taken in by their fix dates, they are fantasy - quit, if you can 

Parki79
Rising star
Message 9 of 34
Flag for a moderator

You are absolutely spot on, they have led people on from 2014 onwards that they were going to resolve things. They should have said back then that it was beyond them and their limitations as it was too much like hard work for them. Need to get more people aware of these in the local areas where they are mainly over utilized. I have the same review date as you pushed back to August so they are general ones.

They will only take notice when it gets to the point where it starts costing them as people either leave or pay a reduced rate. I always try and get a couple people a week to check their speeds and get a complaint in when they realize they are being ripped off.

Yeah it is fine at 3am or during the daytime when I am working, but all I ever see is the 6mb connection in the evenings at weekend so it is no good to me.

Where are you thinking of going to? Loyalty gives you nothing these days and most of the staff at VM obviously do not care. Even the forum staff are happy to churn out the same limited answers that do not give you anything sort of information on the long going issues. I think if you have stuck with them for 2014 you deserve an explanation and a clear indication of what they intend to do to make things better for you. What they are hoping the works will achieve and how it is likely to last long term.

Glad you are spreading the word about VM. Their reputation in Wigan area is tarnished enough though now to be honest, everyone seems to think they are dogturd anyway it seems. Only can blag things for so long though I suppose.

0 Kudos
skipper2000
Tuning in
Message 10 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Thinking of BT, I know they aren't perfect but their fibre infrastructure is relatively new round our way - good deal on Money Saving Expert which ends today which unbelievably makes it cheaper than what I'm paying at VM now - even with discounts applied for poor service, go figure!

Its a fundamental business decision not to maintain their network to the required level - whilst still recruiting customers. Its amounting to fraud - particularly with their adverts extolling the virtues of their shiny new pipes.

Its not just that Virgin have been sweating their asset at the expense of existing customers, its that seeking any redress has been like pulling teeth - even with an issue which goes back Sept 2014.

Promised callbacks never happen, compensation applied to my account has disappeared several times, they are not willing to engage on any detail at all about the supposed improvements, very difficult to escalate the issue (had to resort to a twitter argument with their PR team to get any sort of progress). Not having a go at the individuals who always try and do their best (with a few notable exceptions) but there are some systematic issues with they way they deal with customers.

When you phone in to seek redress on a well known issue, that many, many customers are experiencing (I was told by one guy 900 customers in our area are affected by this issue) you shouldn't have to engage in a sort or turkish bizzare negotiation to get your payments down. Absolutely stinks.

0 Kudos