Menu
farbrortumm
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

W6 Area (21), Getting 3mbit out of 70

Been getting roughly 3mbit consistently for weeks now, comes with really bad latency as well. I'm paying for 70mbit.

I have tried both wifi and wired connections, multiple restarts, tried on multiple devices.

Technical support has unfortunately been pretty useless. They've said that they are "installing another box and moving us to it". Nothing has come out of that.

So currently paying a 1750% premium of the service I'm getting. I'm guessing I can get out of the contract somehow for this?

0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: W6 Area (21), Getting 3mbit out of 70

It will take about 1-2 weeks for a member of virgin staff to look at this, they should hopefully be able to provide more insight into your problem.

In the meantime it may be worth posting your levels here (go to 192.168.0.1 don't login but go to the router stats) .

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi farbrortumm,

Thanks for posting!

Really sorry to hear you're experiencing speed issues.

I've located your account and I can see an issue with the network in your area affecting speeds at peak times - Ref.(F004923188). Our technicians are working to get this resolved and have set a review date of 12th April 2017.

I've also picked up an issue with your Upstream Power levels that will need to be adjusted by a technician. I've sent you a private message (purple envelope at the top right of your screen) so I can arrange an appointment.

Speak soon Smiley Very Happy

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
farbrortumm
Tuning in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Bit of an update on this:

We have still been having extremely poor speeds in the evening and during peak hours. Usually around 0.1 - 3 mbit down according to speedtest.net. I run these on both WiFi and wired connections.

We had an engineer come out and look at things around two weeks ago. He pretty much said that the technical support person I spoke to didn't know what he was talking about and that this was clearly a congestion issue.

Today (27th Mar) our internet stopped working completely. Router says we're having T3 timeouts. I have spoken to phone support again, who haven't been able to help. I told him that I was not really happy paying £41/month for extremely slow or nonexistent service. He said that he would apply a rebate to my account. I've checked the website, and it seems like a £5 rebate has been applied to my account.

All in all, I've found this service to be atrocious - We have a new technician scheduled to come on Friday. I'm guessing that this means I will be without internet service the entire week.

Dear Virgin, I'm paying £41.47 a month for extremely poor / nonexistent service. This is completely unacceptable - How can I get hold of someone who can actually give me some help?

Best regards,
Tobias

0 Kudos
And-uk
Tuning in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Does anyone know if there is legal grounds for everyone in area 21 to take Virgin Media to court over this? It's not acceptable to continue to sell/add more customers to an already oversubscribed service and not deliver speeds people are paying for. Mine has been bad for over a year... but is now unusable at peak times <2mb
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tobias,

I'm honestly sorry for the connection issues you've been having. T3 timeouts can be indicative of noise on the upstream network segment - which would entail alerting Networks. Or there may be a more localised cause which would require an engineer visit. 

I am hoping that the engineer who visited you was able to resolve the issue. I've not been able to locate your Hub details or I would have run some diagnostic tests to check that everything was working well.

If you do still require assistance with your broadband connection please post an update on here and I'll see what I can do for you.

All the best,

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
farbrortumm
Tuning in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Terrible experience with Virgin - Update

Hi all,

Just wanted to give you a bit of an update from:
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/W6-Area-21-Getting-3mbit-out-of-70/m-p/3360856

Our internet went down on the Saturday again 15th of April - It is now the 19th of April, and we still haven't got service restored. The estimated fix time has been extended 6 hours every 6 hours from Sunday. Currently it's listed at

Overall, we've had appalling service the last 6 months. The internet has either not been working or been extremely slow during peak hours (Read: <1 mbit instead of 70, as measured by multiple speedtests on wired connections).

For this, Virgin has kindly agreed to take £5 of our £42 bill this month. It's a complete joke. When I asked to transfer to the customer relations department to talk to someone regarding our monthly costs, they offered us a rebate of a whopping £2.50 a month if we decided to sign up for another 12 months.

The quite rude guy at the retentions department couldn't understand why I wasn't interested in signing up for another 12 months with Virgin, and promptly hung up on me after I told him I wasn't interested in any sort of deal that extended our contract period.

I guess we'll be voting with our feet on this one, I'm absolutely appalled by the service from the accounts and retention departments. At least the poor guys at technical support were very apologetic and understanding.

JitteryPinger
Superfast
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Terrible experience with Virgin - Update

Submit a complaint or contact execs offices and ask for refund for full cost of Broadband service for whilst you've had the issues and also request release from contract if any and switch to alternative network.

Sounds like there's a technical fault on the local network causing outages and T3's to time out and the area in general is suffering from congestion issues.

These sort of issues can take a very long time to fix, took 3-4 years to get fixed in Crawley, W Sussex and some areas still suffer.

I think it was the attention from the local papers that pushed things along a bit quicker down there though.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Terrible experience with Virgin - Update

Really sorry to hear about the trouble experienced farbrortumm,

I've located your account and you're not currently affected by any faults within the area at present.

There are, however, a high number of timeouts present via the equipment levels and I'd like for one of our field engineers to investigate this further.

I've sent you a private message so that we can get this arranged ASAP.

Hope to hear back from you soon,

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
gassaly
Tuning in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I am having the same problem in Area 21. The internet is basically unusable at certain times. It is not an issue with my equipment as it happens during on peak times. This has been happening for quite a while.

Obviously does not feel right to pay every month and not get what is promised. When guests asks "Is your internet working" that is especially annoying on a side note.

In any case, this issue seems to be prolonged and reasonably widespread in terms of people afflicted by it. Can you please let me know when it will be fixed? We are now talking multiple months. I am trying to be as patient as possible, however i would really like to be able to make a determination as to whether it is worth waiting or not. 

0 Kudos