Menu
ehagerty
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Vivid200 speed issues

I am in TW2 with the Vivid 200 upgrade but to date I've only seen speed test output like:

[~]$ speedtest-cli

Retrieving speedtest.net configuration...

Retrieving speedtest.net server list...

Testing from Virgin Media (82.43.105.105)...

Selecting best server based on latency...

Hosted by UK Broadband/PCCW (Ealing) [5.70 km]: 26.149 ms

Testing download speed........................................

Download: 14.02 Mbit/s

Testing upload speed..................................................

Upload: 10.18 Mbit/s

When I use the test suite at my.virginmedia.com/faults/perform-diagnostic it always runs to about 30% then says

"We're trying to sort it out for you
In about 10 minutes we should have finished, so take a break and then restart your equipment and check to see if all is well. If there's still a problem, please get in touch with us."

Sadly power down and restart of equipment does not make any discernable change.  Is this a known problem with the Twickenham area?
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Vivid200 speed issues

Hi ehagerty

Welcome to the community.

Sorry to see that you're not achieving the 200 Mbps broadband speeds.

When I checked your connection, there is a high peak time traffic fault in your area that is causing slow speeds. Our networks team are investigating the problem and are improving bandwidth and performance to help with this issue. The reference number is F003998636 and with a review date of 27th April.

The speed test you completed was this through a wireless or wired connection? 

Regards

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Ed

Thanks for the reply.

I appreciate that the speed tests are through wired as that helps us further.

Are these slow speeds only during the evening? If so it will be the high peak time traffic causing the issue.

You mentioned that the speeds you see are 100 Mbps, is the PC LAN card and Ethernet cable running at 1 Gb or 100 Mbps? 

Speak soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Ed

I appreciate that you're unable to check the speeds during the day.

I just wanted to make sure that we eliminate every aspect first before deciding that the high peak time traffic was causing the issue and to make sure that the equipment used was up to date to get the better speeds. It does seem that it is the fault in the area that is causing the slow speeds that you are experiencing.

For further updates on the issue, by all means post back here and we will check this for you.

Regards

Sam

All Replies
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi ehagerty

Welcome to the community.

Sorry to see that you're not achieving the 200 Mbps broadband speeds.

When I checked your connection, there is a high peak time traffic fault in your area that is causing slow speeds. Our networks team are investigating the problem and are improving bandwidth and performance to help with this issue. The reference number is F003998636 and with a review date of 27th April.

The speed test you completed was this through a wireless or wired connection? 

Regards

Sam

ehagerty
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thank you so much Samantha!  I know you guys get a lot of nonsense noise on the boards, so I really appreciate you taking the time to help.

My connection tests are on wired, and I have seen as high as 100Mb, although I tend to only get that in the middle of the night when there would be almost zero contention.

Best regards,

Ed

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Ed

Thanks for the reply.

I appreciate that the speed tests are through wired as that helps us further.

Are these slow speeds only during the evening? If so it will be the high peak time traffic causing the issue.

You mentioned that the speeds you see are 100 Mbps, is the PC LAN card and Ethernet cable running at 1 Gb or 100 Mbps? 

Speak soon

Sam

ehagerty
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi Samantha,

The speeds are weekends and evenings, I am in London during the day so unable to check for you, apologies.

I used 100mb as a round number, I've actually seen as high as 150mb (before switching to the new 200mb capability).  The home network is gigabit.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Ed

I appreciate that you're unable to check the speeds during the day.

I just wanted to make sure that we eliminate every aspect first before deciding that the high peak time traffic was causing the issue and to make sure that the equipment used was up to date to get the better speeds. It does seem that it is the fault in the area that is causing the slow speeds that you are experiencing.

For further updates on the issue, by all means post back here and we will check this for you.

Regards

Sam

andreakey67
Tuning in
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I am experiencing the same issue on vivid 200, the best download speed about 22, but mostly the upload speed is higher than download both between 10 and 20.
NG16 area.
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
ehagerty
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@andreakey67 just to say the Virgin team has been super engaged trying to work through this one - I believe it is just popularity of the service leading to contention but don't take my word for it!
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi andreakey67,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting. I'm so sorry to hear you're only able to get a fraction of the download speed available to you. I'll take a look at this in more in detail.

I've managed to locate your account but have been unable to test your connection because it shows the modem as offline. I assume you have this powered off while it's not in use.

I'll need this on to check the signal levels further. Please power this on (preferably between 8am-10pm) and bump the thread and I'll pick it up for you.

I did manage to check the area usage and I can see a few spikes which can be expected during peak times but nothing of great concern. Could you please also answer the following questions:-

Are you using wired or wireless?

What device are you using to test the speed?

Are you using speedtest.net site?

Do you get better results during the daytime?

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos
ehagerty
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi there, just checking in if you guys still hope to have this resolved in the April timeframe?  My nighttime speeds are down below 10mb most nights now...

Thanks!!

0 Kudos